Skeeter Sulfur

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLM

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a batch in carboy at .996, not sure if it's done but its developing a slight rotten egg sulfur smell. I have Reduless and Noblesse on hand but never used either. Would you use them in skeeter pee? If so, would you treat it immediately? Or is there a chance that splash racking will take care of it?

I have a batch in carboy at .996, not sure if it's done but its developing a slight rotten egg sulfur smell. I have Reduless and Noblesse on hand but never used either. Would you use them in skeeter pee? If so, would you treat it immediately? Or is there a chance that splash racking will take care of it?
There's a very good chance that splash racking will take care of it. As your yeast colony gets closer to the end of their work, the increase alcohol and the sugar depletion creates some stress, which is one of the things that causes the release of H2S, it's usually not much and can quickly be "blown off" with the CO2 release from a good splash rack. You should definitely give this a go or two before treating it with any kind of chems.

Thanks, both.
I don't have a pump. I read a lot of positive comments here but I don't have any issues with a racking cane and I don't mind lifting carboys. I guess degassing would be an advantage but tell me, is the AIO pump more effective than a degassing tool on a drill?

Thanks, both.
I don't have a pump. I read a lot of positive comments here but I don't have any issues with a racking cane and I don't mind lifting carboys. I guess degassing would be an advantage but tell me, is the AIO pump more effective than a degassing tool on a drill?
way better, as for lifting,,, 5 bulging disk, 1 crushed vertebrae, and a upper dermal, life's way less painful on my back, with a vacuum pump,,, lol ,,, you atomically degas under
vacuum, no comparison
Dawg

OK the H2S issue did go away. But now I have a clearing problem. I added KMeta, Sorbate and Sparkolloid per instructions. The 1.75L cleared in a couple days. The 5G is cloudy at 2 weeks. Should I try more Sparkolloid?

Attachments

• IMG_9399.jpg
    IMG_9399.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9400.jpg
    IMG_9400.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back