Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Originator - Lon DePoppe AKA "Minnesotamaker "

The Recipe

The original, inexpensive, quick, easy to make, easy to drink, naturally fermented, lemon, hot-weather, thirst quencher.

For a 5 gallon batch

3 bottles of 32oz 100% lemon juice (e.g ReaLemon in the green plastic bottles or equivalent)
7 lbs sugar (or 16 cups)
3/4 tsp tannin
6 tsp. yeast nutrient

2 tsp. yeast energizer

Approx, 4 ¾ gallons water

Yeast Slurry

Potassium metabisulfite (Kmeta)

Potassium sorbate (sorbate)

Sparkolloid

Many people have difficulty getting lemonade to ferment. This is due, I believe, to several factors. The high acidity, the lack of natural nutrients, and preservatives that are often included in the lemon juice. Therefore, I do whatever I can to assist the process.

I use reverse osmosis water (this is by choice and tap water should work fine since much of the chlorine should evaporate out during the initial steps). Make invert sugar by adding your 16 cups sugar to a large stainless cooking pot along with 8 cups water and 14 teaspoons lemon juice. Stir sugar to dissolve and heat to just below boiling while stirring. Hold at this temperature for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and pour it into your primary along with 2 of the bottles of the lemon juice (reserve the last bottle until later), and enough additional water to make 5 ½ gallons. Add the tannin, 3 tsp. of the yeast nutrient and 1 tsp. of the yeast energizer. Stir.

Test S.G with hydrometer and record. I shoot for an SG of around 1.07 which yields a beverage of around 10% alcohol if it ferments dry. Vigorously beat the mixture with a wire whip for a couple of minutes to introduce oxygen and purge it of artificial preservatives. I then cover the bucket with a dish towel and let the sit for 24 to 48 hours.

After 24-48 hours, give it another quick whip and then pour in yeast slurry from the first rack of another batch of wine. It sometimes takes a while, but you should have active fermentation within a couple of days. It helps to keep this must warm (70-80 degrees). You may need to occasionally whip in some additional oxygen with the whip if fermentation seems to be progressing slowly.

Periodically check the gravity. When it gets down to around 1.05, add the other 3 tsp of nutrient the second tsp of energizer, and the last bottle of lemon juice; vigorously mix it in. Don’t be afraid to introduce some oxygen to the mix at the same time. This late addition of yeast food and oxygen helps reduce the likelihood of your batch developing a sulfur-dioxide problem. (Because of the high acidity and low nutrition, lemon has a higher propensity to developing the sulfur-dioxide rotten egg smell.) After a couple of days, you can rack into a clean, sanitized carboy.

Allow the Pee to ferment dry and for fermentation to stop. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy. Give the batch a quick degas (use agitation and vacuum if you have the equipment). Add ¼ tsp Kmeta, 2 ½ tsp sorbate, and sparkolliod (follow directions on the package). After two weeks, the Skeeter Pee should be crystal clear. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy, add 6 cups sugar, and stir to dissolve. Wait two weeks to be sure no new fermentation begins and bottle.

Notes:

1.I don’t call this “hard lemonade” because too many people have tried the commercial versions and they tend to make a mental impression of what it’s going to taste like before trying it. When it doesn’t taste just like the commercial versions (which are usually 5% alcohol, lemon flavored malt beverages) they conclude that it’s a poor reproduction. This stuff isn’t a reproduction; it’s the original home-style without the big marketing budget and price tag. Please be advised that you need to keep an eye on those you serve this to. Because it drinks easily on a hot day and the alcohol is about double that of commercial hard lemonades and beer, it is easy to accidentally over consume; it sneaks up on you real fast.

2.This beverage will often take on flavor characteristics of the wine that donates the yeast slurry, keep this in mind when deciding which flavors will blend well with lemon.

3.You want to use a healthy yeast slurry to start your batch. If the slurry is coming from wine that is being pushed to high alcohol levels, it’s possible the slurry is suffering from the effects of alcohol poisoning. Therefore, it’s best if the slurry is used while it is still part of an active ferment.

4.You may have noticed that you start with 5 ½ gallons of must and this is a recipe for 5 gallons. This is because you’ll be leaving a bit more sediment behind at your first racking. Remember that you’re adding the slurry from a previous batch and it will be left behind along with the sediment created by the Skeeter Pee.

5.If you aren’t in a hurry, Skeeter Pee will often fall clear without the Sparkolloid (as long as you’ve done a good job of degassing). My batches often clear in 30 to 45 days without fining.

6.There’s no need to age this beverage. It tastes great soon after bottling. Serve chilled.

I've added a FAQ section to the webpage www.skeeterpee.com that answers some of the most asked questions. Also, if you have any nice pictures of your Skeeter Pee in progress or of people enjoying your finished batch, please send them to me. I'd like to post a photo album on the web page as well. My e-mail address is on the web page. THanks, Lon

First batch was great!! I can prove it!

The proof is on the "pee gravel". Sorry I cant show you what happened when I cranked the ABV up to 15%. LOL:d:d

I am quilty of peeing on the ground but have never been grounded by the Pee.

Amazing things we will admit amongst friends.LMFAO again.

:gn

LMFAO!

PEED ON THE GROUND.jpg

Last edited:
If I was wearing my Alaskan sweatshirt I would never havae posted this.

Just divide everything there by 5 and then multiply it by 6 and you have your 6 gallon recipe.

Thanks
Started 6 gallons of the Skeeter Pee just got to pitch the yeast in 1 day.

IMG_0235.jpg

Also started 6 gallons of Welches also 1 day then yeast.

IMG_0238.jpg

Just bottled my second batch of SP.. It fermented much quicker than the first, and is also much clearer(no clearing agents used). One thing I noticed immediately was that it does not have as much flavor as the first batch. It's still good though. I used the exact same amounts of everything, including sugar to backsweeten. First batch was made on a Muscato slurry, and second batch on a GA Riesling slurry..

:?

Is this to be expected?? Is it okay to add more lemon juice at this point? It's bottled in 1 gallon jugs, so I could empty (drink) a bit out of each and add some lemon juice..

You can add more lemon. I suppose that there is some variation in the bottled lemon juice. Factors like the growing season, the variety of lemon, time of harvest, and origin could all play in to flavor potency.

Thank you Lon! I will test it on a jug tonight, and add to taste.. The first batch I made was a hit, so I don't want to disappoint..

:b

I did like Lon had mentioned somewhere about putting a slice of lemon in the glass when you drink it and it was really good .

Another good idea! Thank you Darlene, I think I will try that before adding the lemon juice..

I hit a homerun with these little beauties!!

True Lemon Packets

I found them at a local grocery store.. 1 packet per glass is perfect for adding the extra lemon kick!! I've also been adding a slice of lemon for little extra effect.. People have been going nuts over this stuff!! Up at our camp we had a little party last friday night to celebrate the first official weekend.. Brought my Skeeter Pee and all enjoyed! One a little too much.. Her husband told me she ended up sleeping on the floor!! Believe me, I did warn everyone before we started drinking it that is was high alcohol! Some just don't listen...

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
New to forum & wine making, aquery re:Skeeter Pee

I'm fascinated after reading about SP. I have some questions that might sound 'dumb' to you guys, but...need answers, so here goes!

Is the final product a sweet or dry beverage?

Re the recipe...I have yeast energizer, but the shop I went to was out of nutrient. What is the difference between these two additives?

I have made some homemade wines in the past years, but just using simple recipes. I have not progressed to measuring SG. Is this step necessary to make this 'wine'?

I'm fascinated after reading about SP. I have some questions that might sound 'dumb' to you guys, but...need answers, so here goes!

Is the final product a sweet or dry beverage?

Re the recipe...I have yeast energizer, but the shop I went to was out of nutrient. What is the difference between these two additives?

I have made some homemade wines in the past years, but just using simple recipes. I have not progressed to measuring SG. Is this step necessary to make this 'wine'?

Skeeter Pee ferments dry... but it tastes best with sugar added back in. If you didn't add some sugar, it would taste like fresh squeezed lemon juice and water, very sour and high in acid. The sugar helps balance out the acidity.

The two additives have some similarities with a few component differences. Yeast Nutrient gives nourishment to your yeast so that it stays healthy throughout the fermentation process. Yeast energizer is usually a blend of diammonium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, yeast hulls and vitamin B complex. If you can't get your hands on any yeast nutrient, you could try adding a few ripe bananas.

I really would recommend reading your SG's. It's very easy to do and the equipment is really inexpensive. You'll use it on every batch of wine you make. It's one of the indispensable tools of winemaking.

thank you lon! i've read all of this and all the faq on ur website. i've got the blackberry on primary fermenting right now. sounds like blackberry slurry might be decent to use in this. anyone ever use it?
(mumbles to self..."need more carboys"...)

thank you lon! i've read all of this and all the faq on ur website. i've got the blackberry on primary fermenting right now. sounds like blackberry slurry might be decent to use in this. anyone ever use it?
(mumbles to self..."need more carboys"...)

Yes, I have made a couple of batches with a blackberry slurry and I have a blackberry slurry in the freezer for my next batch. Turned out very good

Yes, I have made a couple of batches with a blackberry slurry and I have a blackberry slurry in the freezer for my next batch. Turned out very good

thanks julie, how long could the slurry last in the freezer? carboys i'm bidding on don't end for 3 and 5 days and then there is shipping time...but berries just got yeast yesterday, so i have a little time. timing, it's all in the timing, lol

okay, there is not alot of must from the blackberry, but by what i've read, it will be enough...do i refrigerate it overnight, or just let it sit next to the carboy in 73* utility room???

Latest posts

Back