Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it doesn't have to be a lot, a lot will give you more of the slurry flavor but you don't need it for skeeter pee to taste good. slurry in the freezer will last a year, will that is how long mind was in the freezer and i used it and it worked well.

RICA, I learned this from Julie I only used slurry once, but I saved it in a sealed container in the fridge for like 4 months.

I pulled it out, removed the lid and set the whole jar in a pan or warm water, like 100F, sure enough, when the thermoter said it was 80F-is, I pored it in the pee and it was rocking and rolling in llke 1 hour.

I still use a starter, but, Lons pee is great, it is a fun wine to make.

But in confirm of what Julie was saying, a slurry will last a LONG time in the fridge. I gusee I didnt top to thing that it would sure last in the freezer as well.

Happy peeing!
LOL

Troy, I think a slurry in the freezer will last a couple of years. my last slurry in the frig was 9 months old

WOW!

This gang has ot me so believing in starters tat I was pretty stubborn to usea slurry.

I did and it worked. But a starter is a sure way.

None the less, what I meant was that I just started this rose wine, I will post the recipe later, but, Tihs is my 38th batch of wine, and I think of the slurry I dumped from all the other ones.

I had some extremely "violent" ferments. If I had any idea I coul have froze them, I would be talking different.
Always next batches slurry,

Rica, I was realy wanting to get some s.p. going after having some of Julie's but didn't have a slurry to use. Reading up I caught Sid's posts about using a starter, so I did that and it's working out fine.
I will be freezing a slurry or two in the near future for more pee but I would not hesitate to use a starter again if I don't have a slurry.

We have changed Lons recipe forever.

We have tweaked it canged it, flavoerd it spilled it otherwise altered it forever!!!
Sorry buddy. LOL

It really is versatile.

I am sure I will be saving my slury from now on. Never know. It doesnt take a whole lot, pour it into a freezer bag and end of the story.

I still like the pee with a tarter, at least your sure its gonna go, Istill find it more neter to add some juice to it in the begining and use a sarter, I didnt think te slurry added all that much for flavor, (and it was elderberry/raspberry), I am still happy with a starter.

i'm gearing up for this recipe, even though we're heading into the winter by the time it's done. i'm curious thought, the bit about a wire whip. . . are we just talking about that common kitchen utensil, aka wire whisk, or is there a specialized wine making tool that i can't seem to find?

i'm gearing up for this recipe, even though we're heading into the winter by the time it's done. i'm curious thought, the bit about a wire whip. . . are we just talking about that common kitchen utensil, aka wire whisk, or is there a specialized wine making tool that i can't seem to find?

Smack I could not find a reference for what your talking about "whipping it" but I think I know what your referring to. After you pitch the yeast you want to stir the must several time each day to introduce oxygen into it to get a real good fermentation going. Any kind of stirring tool you have will work except a wire whisk. I think you want something a little bit more aggressive like a long plastic or metal spoon. The best thing is a stirrer made for your cordless drill sold at your favorite wine supply store. Whip it! Whip it good!:w:w:w:w

In the initial stages, before pitching the yeast, I use one of these
2583.jpg

I beat the surface into a froth to introduce some oxygen to the must and to help "blow off" some of those preservatives. After that, I don't usually have to whip it again unless the fermentation is sluggish.

In the initial stages, before pitching the yeast, I use one of these
2583.jpg

I beat the surface into a froth to introduce some oxygen to the must and to help "blow off" some of those preservatives. After that, I don't usually have to whip it again unless the fermentation is sluggish.

Thanks for clarifying Lon, My mistake I did not realized you used that. Makes sense now.:slp

I'll take my large stirring spoon and push the big end down quick to push air into the must. I do this several times at least once a day to keep it going. Works verry well.

New to making wine, in fact have not started yet... but have been reading on here for the past few weeks...I will be starting my 1st batch of SP in the next few weeks but have a question about SP.... All other recipes call for an air lock to be used before the wine becomes dry but this recipe doesnt...Should you use an air lock on SP or is it not needed because it disappears so fast?

Stormyabyss said:
New to making wine, in fact have not started yet... but have been reading on here for the past few weeks...I will be starting my 1st batch of SP in the next few weeks but have a question about SP.... All other recipes call for an air lock to be used before the wine becomes dry but this recipe doesnt...Should you use an air lock on SP or is it not needed because it disappears so fast?

I suggest covering the opening of the fermentation container with a towel or loose lid. Once fermentation slows, put on an airlock.

I was wondering, Sense most of the flavor in a lemon comes from the peel why not through in some lemon peels. I make lemoncello all the time. No its not wine and a whole other process but I use lemon peels no lemon juice at all. You have to be careful to not get any of the pith (White part of the peel) because its bitter.

I am still new at making wine, skeeterpee is all new to me.. however i followed the recipe on skeeterpee.com and did the first step, i added the slurry from a previous batch of wine, and it seems the hydrometer went up instead of down, its sitting past 1.070 .. should i add more or anything ?

Started my first skeeter pee yesterday. daniellewesst probably too late to answer you but you are fine on SG reading.

Daniel, what might have happened is that it took the sugar time to fully dissolve into the rest of the water (you may have had heavier sugar water sitting at the bottom of the pail). that is actually a typical problem when mixing water into a kit wine. The water isn't fully mixed in, and you get artificially low initial SG readings.

Made SP last summer, and just opened another bottle. There is a harsh bitter taste that has mellowed over time.

Started my first Skeeter Pee two days ago. It has started fermenting moved from SG 1.070 to 1.060 so far. Soon it shall be wine. One note, I started this with lees from a wine that I had racked a month ago. I kept them in the refrigerator, added sugar and warmed it up. Was working pretty good before I pitched it. Now working well.

Starting my first batch of Skeeter Pee.

I racked my strawberry mead and I'm using the lees to start it, taking the advice of another member.

I used sugar and brought the SG to 1.07 which should give me right around 9%. I've only added 2 bottles of lemon juice at this point, I will add the third in a few days after the fermentation gets going.
I also added about 2 ounces of dried hibiscus petals, since I can't just make a recipe as written!

Starting my first batch of Skeeter Pee.

I racked my strawberry mead and I'm using the lees to start it, taking the advice of another member.

I used sugar and brought the SG to 1.07 which should give me right around 9%. I've only added 2 bottles of lemon juice at this point, I will add the third in a few days after the fermentation gets going.
I also added about 2 ounces of dried hibiscus petals, since I can't just make a recipe as written!

Skeeter Pee Ripasso - I love it!

Latest posts

Back