Skeeter Pee Using Lime Juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17778

Reaction score
I bought a gallon of Real Lime, lime juice and was planning on making Skeeter Pee from it. I was planning on following the original Skeepter Pee recipe except substituting lime for lemon. Is there anything I need to know before doing this? Does anyone have any experience with this substitution? I'm hoping to have a more Margarita like bevridge. :dg

From what I've heard, 1 part lime juice to 3 parts lemon juice is about as far one usually wants to push it. But its all up to your tastes.

I agree with Mayberry. Lime is a great addition, but in my opinion, it becomes overwhelming when used by itself. I like 2/3 lemon, 1/3 lime.

Pure lime sounds great to me! Please report results back here. I'm personally underwhelmed with SP - Sorry Lon

What do you think of going 50/50?

I'm starting a Pineapple pee soon, a Cuban tasted my grape pee and said there was a similar wine that's very popular in Cuba made from Pineapple with lime.

I did a lime juice SP last year that I started with a mango slurry. Turned out great. Sure didn't last long.:)

Very Lime

Wow 100% lime. I will do it then. I'll have a quart from my gallon of real lime left so may do the recommended 1/3 lime, 2/3 lemon too. Then I can have a side by side tasting! :tz

2/3 lemon and 1/3 lime is the favorite around here, tho I've thought about trying half & half. I would try that before doing all lime, I think, unless it was like a gallon batch. With just a gallon you could always mix it with SP if it was too strong. Somebody try it and let us know! lol

The 100% lime juice I used was not the Real-Lime concentrate, or any other concentrate for that matter. I got the juice from a friend that works for a local food wholesaler. They had received a case of the juice to use for marketing purposes. It was packaged in 32 oz plastic jugs, was freshness dated, and required refrigeration. The juice contained no preservatives of any kind. The lime flavor was not in the least overpowering, maybe because it was not a "concentrate". Started with a mango slurry, it turned out to be one of the better batches of SP I have made. I have three 32 oz ziplocs of the lime juice in the freezer waiting their turn. Maybe I need to make some more mango wine.....

Made some using 100% real lime concentrate. It took a long time to clear, I had to use sparkloid to clear it. I did change my yeast for that batch also. I used 71b for it. Taste is ok, not a big difference from regular. I probably will just stick to lemon now.

I just bottled a batch of Lime-Lemon Pee. Instead of 3x 32oz Lemon Juice, I went 2x 32 oz Lemon, +16oz of Lime juice. I added 32 oz of lemon and lime at the start, and 16 oz of lemon later. It turned out AMAZING. I might try going 50/50 or 1:2 Lemon to Lime later, but it's Skeeter Pee! You can't go wrong!

The lemon lime sounds good. But since I have a gallon of lime I'm going to give it a try. I'm goint to do 3X32 lime or else 2X32 lime and 1x32 lemon.:h

This is slightly off-topic (not Skeeter Pee), but I just bottled a delicious wine from a Jack Keller recipe: Key Lime-A-Rita.

My wife and I hand-juiced 100 limes, and the zest of 40 to make it. Your method of lime juice sounds much better! :try

You can find the recipe here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblog13.asp

My wine does have a Skeeter Pee connection, however. After I made this wine, I used the yeast slurry from it to start my Skeeter Pee. A lemon-lime Skeeter Pee. Probably my best tasting batch.

Jim

well I did one using fresh squeezed lime juice and had used a starter where I'd started a bag of cherries. I used 2 gallon of lime juice and had the quart starter of cherry it took a long time to ferment but once done it cleared really quick and on it's on with no problem at all. Took alot to backsweeten it but once it was right it's awesome with crushed ice like a margarita

oh think you might want to reconsider that one wife is very protective over what she considers her wines lol but it is really good like drinking limeaid with a touch of cherry sweet but still tangy.....actually I'm not to worried about you coming over lol

Especially because I can't drink much. I visited another forum member last week and we sipped for 7 straight hours. Sips I can handle. We had such a nice visit.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back