Skeeter Pee Timeline

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviepointer

Reaction score
hi all,
My schedule is going to be a little jumbled over the next few months. I'd like to try making a batch of skeeter pee, and plan accordingly.

For those that have made it:

a)How long did it take (over all process)?
b)About how long were each of the individual steps?

Thanks!

From a fellow Cheesehead, I wear Red for Badgers...I just started a Raspberry wine for the Slurry on Saturday and hope to Rack the Raspberry tonight. I started the PEE Sunday Night and hope to pitch the Slurry from the Raspberry to the PEE tonight. I am documenting every step of the way with a timeline, which I will post, but will give you an update next week.

My last batch, I started on 3/7/10 racked to carboy on 3/15/10 and it is starting to clear. I am expect it to be clear within the next 6 weeks.

Usually 2 months from start to finish.

Last edited:
Julie I was wondering do you add the sugar right after the Kmeta & sorbate like you would normally back sweeten or wait the 2 weeks like it says in the directions ?

I started mine March 23rd I've added the 3rd bottle of juice & will be putting it in the carboy in the next couple of days , when I get room for the carboy .Right now in the bucket the light can't get at it and it's at SG - 1.002 so I think it will be ok until Friday . This one sure lots of action in the airlock always bubbling away .Oh and since this is my first batch I'm getting some superkleer to clear it up so we can see how much we like it . Maybe the next batch I will let it clear on it own :h

Mine has been fermenting for the past 3 weeks... almost dry now. Slowest fermenter ever!

Hi Darlene,

Actually once it clears, I kmeta, sorbate and the sugar all at once, leave it sit for 2 to 3 weeks and then bottle.

LOL I can't blame you for not waiting but you would be surprised at how fast this stuff clears on its own.

Tomorrow will make 11 days on mine. I used the method of starting with nothing but sugar for a day or so and then began adding the lemon juice.
I know, I know. I've already been told that if I don't have patience, this is not the hobby for me, but I'm dying to taste some finished product.
I feel like the old cartoon of three vultures sitting on a dead tree branch saying "patience my ***, I'm going to kill something!":):)

Mine took about 10 days to ferment to dry, my slurry was Lavin 1116.
It took about 20 days to fall clear, with bentonite.
Wonderfully drinkable in just about 40 days.
My slurry was blueberry which made the color dark enough that it might not have been completely clear in that time but it looked very clear.

I also used the L-1116, but had no slurry, so I just made a starter and went that route.
I know when I transfered it from the primary to the carboy, it was smelling good and tasted pretty good already.
If mine goes dry like it looks like it will, it will probaby kick butt. The SG was 1.10 when it started.
If I had the carboys I'ld start another being it's so cheap.

We put ours to secondary last night after fermenting to nearly dry in the primary in 6 days.

Will keep you posted of the other timelines.

1 week in primary, almost another week in secondary.. Still active, and SG is right at 1.000 on the nose. Hoping to transfer, clear, additives and backsweeten this weekend. Although 80 degree weather saturday may change those plans!! My fermentation seems to be slower than norm..

darryl they say wines that ferment slower usaully have more fruit flavour so yours will probably be really good .Did you start it with a slurry ? If so what type of wine was it ? Just being nosey lol .

darryl they say wines that ferment slower usaully have more fruit flavour so yours will probably be really good .Did you start it with a slurry ? If so what type of wine was it ? Just being nosey lol .

Started it on a Muscato slurry.. Hoping to catch some of the flavor in the final product, and it's good to hear it may be an excellent batch!

:D

Darlene,

On another subject.. What happened to "The Cat"!! I was reading recently that they are no longer running it! We were actually trying to plan a trip.. Friends of ours went to Yarmouth on their honeymoon via the cat and had an awesome time! Maybe it will be back in the future.. Too bad..

End of the CAT link

I think the Cat wasn't cost effective anymore but they are still running the regular ferry I think but would to look into that . Well if you head this way let me know maybe we could get together for a glass of wine . If you drive up the coast there is an area near Wolfville & Windsor that has atleast 6 vineyards . If you come as far as Truro I would love to take the drive over to Jost vineyard with you for the afternoon . In the Halifax area there are lots of winemaking stores oh and while your in that area you should definitely take in Peggy's cove . Ok I sound like a tour guide now lol but I do love this little province of ours .

Thankyou for the info! We may take you up on that! From what our friends say, you guys have the best seafood they have ever had! And wineries on top of that?? Nice

Dont forget the Temp

Don't be afraid to use a brew belt or heating pad on the primary.....This worked very well for my batch

looking at starting a second batch this weekend

If it hasn't changed any today you might want to give it a good stir ,seems to be what they tell people on the other site if it gets stuck . So if your nervous give that a try .

Latest posts

Back