Skeeter Pee Timeline

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My slurry was blueberry...

Blueberry? :) Care to share the recipe?

My Step-Dad (works for a produce company, heh heh) came over today and tasted some Apricot "Brandy" my boss made (as far as i can tell, he calls it that because it's kind of hot) and said he would look for a deal on some fruit.
He specifically mentioned blueberries.

So Darryl did it get moving again ??
I have mine in the carboy yesterday and it isn't drop the SG level as quick as it did before.

if you use a slurry you will have a very faint taste of the whatever flavor of slurry you use then finishing with a lemon taste. It is a lemon wine.

Leanne from what I have read aging doesn't effect this one like regular wine .It's stay about the same . Since mine isn't even finshed I can't say from experience yet.

Last edited:
So Darryl did it get moving again ??
I have mine in the carboy yesterday and it isn't drop the SG level as quick as it did before.

It's still going real slow.. SG barely below 1.000.. Should I be worried this batch may be ruined? I thought I could smell a very slight sulfur smell last night, but when I took the SG with my wine thief, I tasted it the sample and it tastes fine, just real fizzy...

:?

Skeeter is just fun to make and no aging required. Hard to keep it around very long anyway. :ib

It's still going real slow.. SG barely below 1.000.. Should I be worried this batch may be ruined? I thought I could smell a very slight sulfur smell last night, but when I took the SG with my wine thief, I tasted it the sample and it tastes fine, just real fizzy...

:?

I got mine just under 1.00 and finished it off as it appeared to be done.

I would not consider it "ruined" by any means.

Checked mine yesterday, just a hair above 1.00... its been a good 3.5 weeks now! Still slowly bubbling away though...

20100404_wine_cider_0005.jpg

Skeeter is just fun to make and no aging required. Hard to keep it around very long anyway. :ib

Yeah, I just wondered as I won't be drinking until the end of year and wondered if it ages nicely.:ib

you can store lemon/grapefruit/orange juice in the freezer for future winemaking..juice them and freeze into icecube trays.. then put all the cubes in freezer bags. Citrus zest ( peel) can also be frozen once zested ( grated), I tend to use it up within 12 months.. long enough til the next crop of fruit is available from the garden.

Allie

you can store lemon/grapefruit/orange juice in the freezer for future winemaking..juice them and freeze into icecube trays.. then put all the cubes in freezer bags. Citrus zest ( peel) can also be frozen once zested ( grated), I tend to use it up within 12 months.. long enough til the next crop of fruit is available from the garden.

Allie

Thanks. I already do that but I started a batch of skeeter because it sounded like fun to make and am now wondering what to do with it. LOL. :slp Oh well, I'm sure my friends will like it.

Yeah, I just wondered as I won't be drinking until the end of year and wondered if it ages nicely.:ib

You should be fine. While SP is an early drinker, 5 months is not that long to go nor is that a very long time of aging. I just opened a bottle that was 6 months old, tasted just as fine as the day I bottled it. You should be able to keep it for a year without any problems.

Thanks. I already do that but I started a batch of skeeter because it sounded like fun to make and am now wondering what to do with it. LOL. :slp Oh well, I'm sure my friends will like it.

Leanne,
I usually keep a couple cases of Skeeter Pee over the winter so that I have something to drink on the first hot days of Spring. Mine is now about 9 months in the bottle. Shared a bottle with the wife this afternoon while working in the garden and it doesn't seem to have changed from last summer. Tastey as ever.

Latest posts

Back