Skeeter Pee Revisited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know everybody is saying this is so good, it won't last long. But bottled up, how long do you think it would last?
I've got five gallons in the primary and if that gives me 24-25 bottles, I won't go thru them that fast.

Well on the site that the man that made this recipe posts he said he had some the fall & drank it in the spring and it tasted fine . if a person was really concerned couldn't they add a little metabisulphite before you bottle like you do in kits ?

I know the orginal recipe called for using a slurry. Why not save the slurry from a batch of Skeeter Pee to use on the next one? And if you were to dry out the slurry from the bottom of the primary, would that yeast still be active enough to start the next batch of Skeeter Pee?

The orginater of the recipe doesn't recommend reusing the slurry from the skeeter pee because the yeast could be over worked and not ferment for you .Maybe the people that used the starter on thier first batch might be able to use that but I really don't know . Maybe someone that used a starter could try it & get back to us hint hint hint arcticsid lmao .I know you said you wouldn't use the slurry .

As for the other part of drying out the slurry give it a try & let us know if it works for you . I would rehydrate it in bottle first to see if there's any action before I dumped it in the Pee .

Right now I have a pint jar about 2/3 full of the slurry mixture from my skeeter pee. I have taken a pinch of sugar a couple times and fed it and both times it just goes as crazy as a 16 year old boy in the back seat of his parents car!
Now to figure out how to dry it out and see if it works.

I've been wondering, just how clear with the Skeeter Pee get? Will it clear up "really clear" or keep the lemonade look?

My first batch kept the lemonade look. My next batch an experiment using DME has a brown carmel color to it, because I think I had the heat to hi and carmelized the DME. But if you make normal it should retain a some what yellowish look!

I've been wondering, just how clear with the Skeeter Pee get? Will it clear up "really clear" or keep the lemonade look?

So far every batch I made has been crystal clear. I used blackberry twice, and elderberry once and they both had a slight pink tint from the berry but very clear.

Quick question.. I am at the point in Lons' directions that I am supposed to transfer to a carboy to let it ferment to dry.. Is there any problem leaving it in the primary until dry, then rack, degas and clear? Or am I better off following his directions and let it ferment to dry in a carboy(secondary).. Right now I am at 1.020 and am still getting a bubble every 5 seconds or so..

I think you should put it in a carboy , I'm not sure about this answer but I think it's because sitting on the lees to long gives the wine an off taste .I'm sure one of the pros will be along shortly to answer in detail for you . did you add your other bottle of juice at SG - 1.050 ?

Darlene is right, plus that is a lot of space, you need to reduce the headspace by puting it in a carboy.

I think you should put it in a carboy , I'm not sure about this answer but I think it's because sitting on the lees to long gives the wine an off taste .I'm sure one of the pros will be along shortly to answer in detail for you . did you add your other bottle of juice at SG - 1.050 ?

I wasn't thinking about the lees factor.. I will rack to secondary tomorrow. Yes, I did add the extras @ 1.050, so I am good to go with that..

Thank you!

Last edited:
Darlene is right, plus that is a lot of space, you need to reduce the headspace by puting it in a carboy.

Definately do not want to jeopordize my first batch, so will follow the recipe and take your advise. I love this place!

Help with Finishing my Skeeter Pee

I dont have Sparkalloid to use as a clearing agent. Would it be safe to assume that I can finish this kit with Kielselsol and chitosan that I have not used yet with another kit?

I checked my batch yesterday and it still has a little way to go, but it wasn't bad tasting after I back sweetened what I had used to take a SG reading.
My SG is finally down to 1.005 and is still bubbling slowly.

Green Mountain I'm sure it would be fine if you are in a hurry. I used a little bentonite and it fell clear really quick. I think the website mentions it will fall clear usally in 30-45 days with no clearing agent.

Green Mountain I'm sure it would be fine if you are in a hurry. I used a little bentonite and it fell clear really quick. I think the website mentions it will fall clear usally in 30-45 days with no clearing agent.

Torch,

I used the packets and utilized the WinExpert method of stirring the lees back up as you add in the two packets, first K and then the C. Although the lees was much finer than the two WE reds I've done the action was similar. The whole thing went cloudy like pee soup, then looked like a snow globe as the yeast hulls et al began to attach to themselves until finally looking almost totally clear within about an hour.

We'll let it sit for a couple of weeks before racking it off and backsweetening.

Those of us who have made Pee knows it is an early drinker and unlike anything we will ever make.

Noone said Pee had to be clear! When you know its good it's good! Not trying by any means to discouraging anyone to NOT clear it, but the normal reasons we clear wine don't apply to Pee.

I personally wouldn't sweat it that much.

As Torch and I said last week, "come to think of it, this stuff doesn't even seem to be degassed".

This isn't wine, it is Mosquito Pee. Treat it as such.

Troy

Finally

Just wanted to to thank you guys for the help in the beginning. Once it got going everything went smooth. Finally got it bottled a couple of days ago and have been enjoying it since. This stuff is awesome. Its quite a hit and I'm already preparing the next batch...

Well I have to say I like the original better. I used 4 lbs of DME and although it taste good, it does not taste as good as the original. So much for experiments.

How has anyone else's experiments gone? Any good with the addition of raspberry or some other type? Am very curious because I am about to make my 3rd batch.

Latest posts

Back