Skeeter Pee Revisited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myfirend actually said you should try blending it with ice!! I think I am going to go do that right now.

I admit. I have had a pretty "financially challenged" winter to say the least. I have made three batches of pee so far and let them get down to about 1.000. Freeze a piture and let it thaw in the fridge. Any "floaties" settle down and drink the top. it is really good.

Where is Ryan? He brought this subject up a while ago and now we have a consensus(sp?)

Troy

Ok well I started a new batch with the DME. One thing I am worried about is going to be the color. I think I might have had the heat up to much when I disolved the DME, it turned into a brownish color, like I carmalized it. Also I only did an SG of 1.050, people liked it but said it was a little to hot, tone down the alcohol. So I am hoping it clears a bit after everything is said and done, else it might look a little nasty!! But I am hoping it comes out just as tasty!

Going to start this when my ice wine moves to the secondary.. Will use that slurry.. I am pretty much going to follow the original recipe to the tee, but have one question.. Has anyone tried mixing this with iced tea? My wife loves twisted tea and I was thinking this could kill 2 birds with one stone, and sweeten at the same time. 50/50 split of something like Snapple Iced Tea with the Skeeter Pee?? Anyone have a bottle of this and willing to experiment?? Figured it would cut alc in half down to a normal twisted tea strength..

I don't have that Iced Tea, but I bet it would be good. I know how skeeter Pee taste and I bet it would be good!

So far everyone who has tried this drink has really liked it. I have even gotten "Wow, this taste better than Mike's; when are you making more!"

You can't ask for anything else better than that.

Also:
"This is the first time I have gotten drunk off of home brew" :d

i kept seing this pee thing and always sort of ignored it as something i wasnt interested in but after peeking at post after post now i really want to make a batch of this, damn you guys!

i kept seing this pee thing and always sort of ignored it as something i wasnt interested in but after peeking at post after post now i really want to make a batch of this, damn you guys!

:tz :db :) Another one bites the dust! You are gonna love it!

Started my batch of skeeter pee the other day :p It's sure foaming up. Can't wait to try it :dg

A question for all of you who have made it. Does it clear like your normal everyday wine, or does it stay kinda cloudy like lemonade?

A question for all of you who have made it. Does it clear like your normal everyday wine, or does it stay kinda cloudy like lemonade?

It clears on its own, actually I don't even use a clearing agent on mind, within 2 months it is clear as a bell and drinkable.

It'll clear. I refer you over to the original authors site:

http://www.skeeterpee.com

I think you should make some and find out for yourself. LOL

The recipe calls for using a yeast slurry. This isn't necessary. It can also be made by using a healthy yeast starter.

Also the recipe says to start at like 1.070, I think, that of course is up to you.

I also found it can be asily tweaked by adding a can or two of your favorite frozen juice concentrate.

I'm really a fan of this silly yellow wine with the silly little name. Its easy, inexpensive, and versitale. And it really is quite tasty and refreshing. Serve very cold. I can only imagine what this would be like carbonated.

Last edited:
That sounds good. I just went to Sams club today and picked up 2-48 oz. bottles of Real Lemon to get my batch started. Hopefully in 2 months we'll have some nice hot weather up here so I can sit back in the shade and have a couple of cold ones.:dg

You wont be disappointed RM. Keep us posted. Follow the recipe. The trick to this wine is to get it fermenting, it can be a bear.

You can definitely tweak it but on Lon's website there is a caution that the drink is designed to be 10% abv. No you don't need a slurry but when you do use a slurry you get a very faint taste of the fruit from that slurry. I have made 4 batches with different slurrys and each one was slightly different and all very good.

Good luck! :try

Julie, as I am sure you will agree, the abv caution is because it is so smooth, I whipped up a batch at around 15%. Pretty sneaky, like the mosquito itself, but then again, I wasn't going to operate dangerous machinery or attempt tight rope walking. LMAO.

I made one batch by building the starter with OJ, that was a great taste.

It actually wasn't bad at all with that high of an ABV. Some wines are terrible too high, but the pee can handle it.

I was thinking of using the reverse method. The only bad thing I can think of though doing it that way is you don't know the exact alcohol content. But if you follow the recipe it should be around 10% though right?

Should be pretty darn close I would think. Although I don't disagree with the reverse method. It just seems to me it needs to be "brewed" together. Can't imagine making brownies and adding the chocolate later. I would imagine the final taste using the reverse method is the same, but couldn't tell you, I have only made it the traditional way. It does work, so if you are more comfortable doing it like that, go for it.

But to each his own. One more thing, it likes to be whipped during the primary, not stirred, get some oxegen in it. A happy pee is a successful pee.

Troy

Last edited:
Should be pretty darn close I would think. Although I don't disagree with the reverse method. It just seems to me it needs to be "brewed" together. Can't imagine making brownies and adding the chocolate later. I would imagine the final taste using the reverse method is the same, but couldn't tell you, I have only made it the traditional way. It does work, so if you are more comfortable doing it like that, go for it.

But to each his own. One more thing, it likes to be whipped during the primary, not stirred, get some oxegen in it. A happy pee is a successful pee.

Troy

I never thought of it that way Troy. I was just afraid I might have a problem because of the lemon, but if other people have gotten it to work using the original recipe I might as well try it too. The only thing different I would be doing is not using a slurry. Did you use one on yours Troy or did you just use yeast, if so what kind of yeast?

Latest posts

Back