Skeeter Pee Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maestro

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Ok, started our first batch of SP this week and followed the recipe pretty much to the letter with the small exception of adding about a pound more sugar. We used the slurry from our RJ Peach Chardonnay. After about a day the fermentation action was rockin'! It's been fermenting good now for a couple days and I figure it's time to check the SG to see if it's ready for it's final dose of lemon juice and yeast helpers. My question is "Is it ok to stir up the must and disturb the yeast cap that is forming on the top to take the SG reading?" This is our first attempt at a real recipe and not a kit. Also, at what point should we rack into the carboy for the secondary fermentation and should I take all the "stuff" collecting inside over with it?? We are so very excited about this batch of SP and can't wait to try it out. I'm sure I'll be asking more as we go along.

Well you should add the last bottle of lemon juice and yeast nutrient and engerizer when the sg is 1.050 but since you added an additional pound of sugar, I'm not sure when you should add the additional items but I would still assume 1.050, did you take an sg after you added the sugar? I had to add another 1/2 pound to get 1.070 so I felt that I was following the recipe. But to forewarn you as Lon would say once you deviate from the recipe all warranties are null and void.

Here's the funny thing. After adding the extra sugar my SG read right at 1.069-1.070. Not sure why it happened that way because I was trying to bump up the ABV a bit, but ultimately it ended up being pretty much per the recipe. Go figure. lol

Anywho, just took the SG reading a minute ago and it is at 1.050 on the dot. I'm guessing that, per the recipe, this is where I add the remaining lemon and yeasty help, and then mix it all with vigorously. So.....here goes! Wish me luck, if I don't return then I leave my batch of unfinished SP to you Julie as a token of thanx. :)

Watch out Pee, here I come. :gb

You're right on target; full steam ahead.

It IS ok to stir it up while working with it; everything will find its place again in short order.

After the last additions, I usually give it a day to settle down and then I rack to the carboy leaving behind the bulk of the bottom sediment and any floating foam you may have. Foam isn't usually a common problem once you get this close to finishing.

It won't be long, and you'll be able to enjoy a good hot day.

Lon,

Thanks so much for your reply on this. It's awesome to get words of wisdom from the man himself on this. Just added the stuff and gave it all a good mixing. Really looking forward to trying the final product. :dg :D

...... So.....here goes! Wish me luck, if I don't return then I leave my batch of unfinished SP to you Julie as a token of thanx. :)

Watch out Pee, here I come. :gb

WooHoo :db, you don't by chance have any muscadine down there in Georgia do you? :i

This stuff goes pretty fast. Had a small family get-together and BBQ on Saturday and I have 10 less bottles than I had on Friday. It's a good thing I have more on the go.

Only 10 less wow you must have a small family lol . I expected you to say a case or 2 .

I was thinking the ones he has showed pics of that are beer bottles .

WooHoo :db, you don't by chance have any muscadine down there in Georgia do you? :i

Our annual muscadine harvest won't happen until the late fall down here. We are looking forward to it though. Gonna be some wonderfully tasty wines made from the sweet muscadines. :D

Only 10 less wow you must have a small family lol . I expected you to say a case or 2 .

It was a small gathering of the aunt, uncle, grandma, grandpa types. I only brought 10 bottles and 1 lemon with me.... keeping a tight grip on the supply is the key to preserving the stash! Besides, we don't want grandma getting liquored up... she might fall and break a hip.

Our annual muscadine harvest won't happen until the late fall down here. We are looking forward to it though. Gonna be some wonderfully tasty wines made from the sweet muscadines. :D

My step son lives in South Carolina and while he is not aware of it yet, he will growing some nobles in his back yard. :)

Back