SKEETER PEE PORT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not Dawg, but both of those amounts are more than I would think you would add add bottling time. I would expect 1/4 tsp of kmeta. And maybe none, depending on when you last added it.
hum, i'll try lighter, oxidation worried me, i picked up the habit reading on here for a long time, i either , added none, or just at bottling, for a few years i did not add any at anytime, and never had any trouble,, is it more of a problem with grapes, since i read on more grape threads since country wines we are so few,,,
Dawg

hum, i'll try lighter, oxidation worried me, i picked up the habit reading on here for a long time, i either , added none, or just at bottling, for a few years i did not add any at anytime, and never had any trouble,, is it more of a problem with grapes, since i read on more grape threads since country wines we are so few,,,
Dawg

I've only ever added 1/4 tsp. but I don't bulk age so that's why I feel comfortable with that amount.

i usually on skeeter pee and dragons blood use dura fine and give it from 10 to 14 days before i rack them everything else i use time on, i rack every 3 months from 1 to 2 years on except for my straight elderberry, which i rack for about a year, then bulk age for several more years,,
Dawg
Dawg, why Durafine and not Sparkalloid?........................Dizzy

Not Dawg, but both of those amounts are more than I would think you would add add bottling time. I would expect 1/4 tsp of kmeta. And maybe none, depending on when you last added it.
Thanks,cmason.......................seems like there is a differing of opinion being noted here on the forum: what's a youngster supposed to do? LOL....................Dizzy

I'll just jump in. I think it's certainly a personal preference or opinion based on what a winemaker has experienced regarding past performance of one over the other. I've had great results with Durafine so it's my fining of choice 😊

I’m not Dawg, but there is much discussion about it in the forum. @dangerdave did a side-by-side test some time ago. Generally, sparkaloid is cheaper, but harder to use, and many people find after it seems perfectly clear they get a very fine wispy sediment in their bottles. I think a lot has to do with what you are fermenting and how long you are willing to let it clear. Most people I’ve heard that have tried the kieselsol/chitosan combination (DualFine / SuperKleer / Claro K.C.) never go back. Including Danger Dave! His recipe calls for sparkaloid, but he wrote it before he tried SuperKleer.

Thanks,cmason.......................seems like there is a differing of opinion being noted here on the forum: what's a youngster supposed to do? LOL....................Dizzy
I understand the best way is to measure the SO2 in your wine and calculate the proper dose. But over-doing it a bit doesn’t hurt, so most use a “rule-of-thumb.” I’ve seen 1/4 tsp every racking or second racking when bulk aging, and 1/2 tsp at bottling. Note that the 1/4 tsp when racking does not apply when racking during fermentation.

I understand the best way is to measure the SO2 in your wine and calculate the proper dose. But over-doing it a bit doesn’t hurt, so most use a “rule-of-thumb.” I’ve seen 1/4 tsp every racking or second racking when bulk aging, and 1/2 tsp at bottling. Note that the 1/4 tsp when racking does not apply when racking during fermentation.

I would only add 1/2 tsp at bottling to something that I planned to age somewhat and if I had done a racking not to long before bottling, say to filter (which I don't do with skeeter pee), a week or so before bottling, I would not add any more. Particularly given the somewhat low PH of skeeter pee, adding 1/4 every racking is probably overkill.

Your supply is on its way. Should get it first of week.
dang man, now that is a supply, nice, i got 3 kinds ready, will send them, will let you know when i do, and when i bottle i'll have a few more kinds i'll send then,,,
it was what i tried first, and never tried anything else. all my other wines i age from a year to 2 years, except my straight elderberry, which gets much longer, so nothing but my quick drinkers get finings, all the rest time and gravity takes care of. lol,,, so you like Sparkolloid better, i recon i need to check it out, i bought some bentonite once, sill have it some where, just never used it,
Dawg

i am a deep woods southerner, my phrases and grammar are different than others, lol,, don/t get me wrong i had to learn when i worked the road as a Mall Rat,,, i dealt with state and city officials and multi-billionaire developers.
but i am now back to my roots, and as happy as a hawg in mud,,, lol
Dawg

I’m not Dawg, but there is much discussion about it in the forum. @dangerdave did a side-by-side test some time ago. Generally, sparkaloid is cheaper, but harder to use, and many people find after it seems perfectly clear they get a very fine wispy sediment in their bottles. I think a lot has to do with what you are fermenting and how long you are willing to let it clear. Most people I’ve heard that have tried the kieselsol/chitosan combination (DualFine / SuperKleer / Claro K.C.) never go back. Including Danger Dave! His recipe calls for sparkaloid, but he wrote it before he tried SuperKleer.
KC, That's good to know. I think once I have finished my supply of Sparkalloid I will start using the Superkleer (just to be on the safe side). To date the Sparkalloid is clearing really well.....................Dizzy

KC, That's good to know. I think once I have finished my supply of Sparkalloid I will start using the Superkleer (just to be on the safe side). To date the Sparkalloid is clearing really well.....................Dizzy
I’m betting once you try it you won’t go back. Much easier to use, and the sediment seems more compact, so it doesn’t get pulled into the racking cane as easily so you don’t have to leave as much behind when you rack.

I would only add 1/2 tsp at bottling to something that I planned to age somewhat and if I had done a racking not to long before bottling, say to filter (which I don't do with skeeter pee), a week or so before bottling, I would not add any more. Particularly given the somewhat low PH of skeeter pee, adding 1/4 every racking is probably overkill.
yep i think on the potassium sorbate vs potassium metabisulfite, i had got it confused, with each other, i dug out my notes, of which i keep very few, now as for fining i only use finings on quick drinkers, i get a little of i as well as confuse my threads, most know i have a very shafted spine, and i take for my back but only when not drinking, i get for home use 4 mg of Hydromorphone, every six hours, but my life is great, every morning i thank the lord for every day, as for anyone worried by my meds and alcohol, i have hashed it all out with my doctors,,,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back