SKEETER PEE PORT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's
i have heard so many say they have no problems starting SP or other high acid wines, , so i know it is true and that i am a butter knife in a drawer of steak knives, but i add just a little at the start of the ferment
and the rest when the ferments starts to slow
Dawg

Your's is probably the smarter way to go as you aren't taking any chances!

I would love to see a pic of the label!

I'm about the opposite...no close family to share my wine with but I have lots of friends who like it. Before Covid, we spent at least one night a week sitting in the kitchen or on the patio with a few bottles. Between not being able to do that and having lots of time to make wine, my cellar is overflowing...not that I'm complaining about having a full cellar or anything 🤣
Val, I would love to send you a picture, but I don't know how to do so. What about if I tell you the site, and describe what it looks like?................Dizzy

I just checked my lime Skeeter and it finished fermenting at .988. It was already starting to clear in the primary so I've been racking and treating this morning. I went what I thought was easy on my backsweeten but it ended up a little higher than I wanted at 1.016. It's still a long way from @hounddawg 's 1.040 though so I figure I'm good 🤣🤣🤣. After being so paranoid about my ferment, it did great even with adding all the lemon and lime juice up front. Waiting 24 hours after mixing up the batch before pitching the yeast in addition to slowly adding must to yeast before pitching it must have been the key.
Val, my stuck ferment is still bubbling away in the cool garage. Can't wait for it to stop fermenting so I can take a SG and proceed to bottling....................Dizzy

That's pretty cool! Would you send me the link for the food coloring so I can check it out? And of course, I need pictures when it's done 😊

Last year, I used fresh mint from my backyard pot for the infusion but decided to try the dried this time. The lime rum I found was from Bacardi. It's got a bit of sweetness to it so it's kind of yummy to taste on it's own 😉
Hi Val, I ordered them from Amazon (12 colors), and I have not received them yet (scheduled to be delivered 7/2) When they come in I will message you. ........ Dizzy

i have heard so many say they have no problems starting SP or other high acid wines, , so i know it is true and that i am a butter knife in a drawer of steak knives, but i add just a little at the start of the ferment
and the rest when the ferments starts to slow
Dawg
Your supply is on its way. Should get it first of week.

Hi Val, I ordered them from Amazon (12 colors), and I have not received them yet (scheduled to be delivered 7/2) When they come in I will message you. ........ Dizzy
Val, I had a few minutes before getting ready for a 4th party......purchased colors from Amazon. Brand name: LIMINO, FDA certified. 12 colors.
Colors: Lime, Kiwi, Green Apple, Purple Cabbage, Blueberry, Grape, Lemon, Tangerine, Strawberry, Pitaya ? (a rose color), Mangosteen ? (a purple color) and Black Currant. Hope this helps.....................Dizzy

Skeeter Pee question. First batch I made went great. No problems with fermenting, added DualFine and degassed, went clear almost within 24 hours, tasted great. 2nd batch of Skeeter Pee - Fermented with no problem, added DualFine, 48 hours later and nothing dropped. Added another DualFine. waited 48 hours and noting dropped. Tried Sparkollod which I have never used before. 48 hours and it was clear, but now it dropped everything, there was hardly any lemon flavor at all and will add more lemon to see if will taste normal. Any idea why this would happen ?

Skeeter Pee question. First batch I made went great. No problems with fermenting, added DualFine and degassed, went clear almost within 24 hours, tasted great. 2nd batch of Skeeter Pee - Fermented with no problem, added DualFine, 48 hours later and nothing dropped. Added another DualFine. waited 48 hours and noting dropped. Tried Sparkollod which I have never used before. 48 hours and it was clear, but now it dropped everything, there was hardly any lemon flavor at all and will add more lemon to see if will taste normal. Any idea why this would happen ?
Maybe you should start a separate thread... but you must have done something different. Did you take notes? I think you jumped the gun a bit with your extra doses. I would wait a week, minimum, before being concerned. Did you taste it before adding any fining agents? I don’t think flavour can “drop out.”

I agree with @KCCam. I've had wine start to clear within 48 hours but other times it takes quite a bit longer. It depends on the temperature of the room too. I've never heard of the flavor dropping out either but maybe someone else had more experience with that.

I agree with @KCCam. I've had wine start to clear within 48 hours but other times it takes quite a bit longer. It depends on the temperature of the room too. I've never heard of the flavor dropping out either but maybe someone else had more experience with that.
Thanks for the info. My fault for not tasting before adding the clearing agents. It went so well the first time that I just let things roll. I will start another batch soon and will taste and take better notes to make things come out ok. Again, thanks for the input.

Thanks for the info. My fault for not tasting before adding the clearing agents. It went so well the first time that I just let things roll. I will start another batch soon and will taste and take better notes to make things come out ok. Again, thanks for the input.

I did the same thing last time I made it... going off the fact that my previous batch turned out so good, I wasn't as meticulous and I ended up with my ferment stalling at 1.008. We live and learn 😊

Hey, I ain’t “faulting” you! Lol. Just looking for clues. Add more lemon juice (and possibly sugar) to taste: I bet it will be wonderful. I’ve only tried SP once, and I had so much trouble fermenting and clearing it that I turned it into high proof (well, maybe 32 proof — 16%) Dragon Blood. I’ve learned a lot since then, and plan on giving it another go. Thanks @hounddawg !

Skeeter Pee question. First batch I made went great. No problems with fermenting, added DualFine and degassed, went clear almost within 24 hours, tasted great. 2nd batch of Skeeter Pee - Fermented with no problem, added DualFine, 4ch 8 hours later and nothing dropped. Added another DualFine. waited 48 hours and noting dropped. Tried Sparkollod which I have never used before. 48 hours and it was clear, but now it dropped everything, there was hardly any lemon flavor at all and will add more lemon to see if will taste normal. Any idea why this would happen ?
i usually on skeeter pee and dragons blood use dura fine and give it from 10 to 14 days before i rack them everything else i use time on, i rack every 3 months from 1 to 2 years on except for my straight elderberry, which i rack for about a year, then bulk age for several more years,,
Dawg

Skeeter Pee not clearing with DualFine is almost always due to CO2 in your wine. Take out a small amount, put it in your hydrometer test jar, convert it with your hands and give it a good shake. When you remove your hand, I bet you will hear a pop or a whoosh of had escaping and often you see lots of foam. Get rid of that and you should be good to go. Why is this batch different? Every batch is different.

Last edited:
For those of you who have been following my stuck SP ferment (stuck @ 1.022).........................I have an update. You may recall, I racked it into a secondary and placed it in the garage, not really expecting a whole lot. Yesterday I noticed it was foaming and actively fermenting..........go figure! Nothing new except it was placed in a cooler area than when I was trying to get it "unstuck". The lesson to be learned here, I think, is NEVER GIVE UP..........SEE WHAT FATHER TIME WILL DO!.........................Dizzy
7/5 update on stuck SP ferment..........................Today SG was at 1.000 and still fermenting slightly. I reracked into another carboy and the splashing rack gave off alot of foam................I am a happy camper!!...........................Dizzy

sorry i miss read your question, no when i'm ready to rack out of the ferment i add the rest o, f the juice, when that clears and i'm ready to bottle, then i add my PGA and k-meta to my designated 6.5 gallon carboy then rack the cleared and degassed skeeter pee on top of icedt, then i back sweeten to taste, i only use my hydro meter to get to the level of sweetness i want, all my other wines are balanced for taste and effect, but my skeeter pee port i drink a little come bedtime,,,
Dawg
Dawg, are you adding 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp of K-meta when you are readying for bottling?......................Dizzy

Dawg, are you adding 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp of K-meta when you are readying for bottling?......................Dizzy

Not Dawg, but both of those amounts are more than I would think you would add add bottling time. I would expect 1/4 tsp of kmeta. And maybe none, depending on when you last added it.

Latest posts

Back