SKEETER PEE PORT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no i let my skeeter pee sit for a month or 2, vacuum racking or stirring with a drill, my skeeter pee port is clear degassed and dry, then i add a fifth of 190 proof to a larger carboy and 1 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite, then i rack my skeeter pee port into the larger carboy, then i add sugar stirring with drill and adding more sugar till i reach a FSG=final specific gravity ) of 1.040 using my hydrometer, the only thing i ever weight is my fruits an/or berries,
Dawg
Morning Dawg...............At what point in the above directions do you add the final bottles of lemon concentrate? When you are adding the 190 proof?...............Dizzy

when skeeter pee is clear and ready to bottle i pour my 190 proof into my 6 & 1/2 carboy then i add 1/2 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite, then i rack my cleared skeeter pee on top of thar, then i check my SG AND add sugar as needed, stirring with drill until my SPP 's SG is 1.040 then straight to bottle,,

Last edited:
Morning Dawg...............At what point in the above directions do you add the final bottles of lemon concentrate? When you are adding the 190 proof?...............Dizzy
sorry i miss read your question, no when i'm ready to rack out of the ferment i add the rest o, f the juice, when that clears and i'm ready to bottle, then i add my PGA and k-meta to my designated 6.5 gallon carboy then rack the cleared and degassed skeeter pee on top of icedt, then i back sweeten to taste, i only use my hydro meter to get to the level of sweetness i want, all my other wines are balanced for taste and effect, but my skeeter pee port i drink a little come bedtime,,,
Dawg

KCCam.......................I am all about the "heat".............bring it on!................I will be starting a Dragon's Blood tomorrow, and any thoughts on how to heat that baby up will be entertained......................Dizzy

Adding rum might kind of make it taste like a daiquiri! Now I'm thinking I might try a version like that 🤣. You could go Dawg's route and do grain alchol...I personally don't want mine that "hot" though 😅

I've fortified my lime SP with lime rum and mint to get my Mojito version and I've also made a Margarita version with tequila but I made that one a little too strong for my liking.

Go easy on the lemon juice before ferment. Add it on in the back end of ferment. Too much in the beginning may stall or prevent the fermentation. Many notes of this in many previous posts. Good luck!... btw I’ve been eyeing dawgs fortified sp for months. Can’t wait to make that knock your socks off type of drink. 🤘🏻

If this new batch of lime SP stalls out like the last, I'm definitely going to go with the method of adding part of the juice on the back end. I've successfully made it before by adding all at the beginning, up until my last batch. I haven't checked my SG on the current one in a couple days so I'll take a peek today with my fingers crossed.

Adding rum might kind of make it taste like a daiquiri! Now I'm thinking I might try a version like that 🤣. You could go Dawg's route and do grain alchol...I personally don't want mine that "hot" though 😅

I've fortified my lime SP with lime rum and mint to get my Mojito version and I've also made a Margarita version with tequila but I made that one a little too strong for my liking.
lemon and pineapple both hides the heat, and as stated about half a coffee cup at bedtime puts the lights out and stretches how long each bottle lasts,,,
Dawg

Do you use about 1 1/2 cup of rum infused with mint to make your Mojito version ? Going to bottle regular Skitter Pee today(just my second batch) and wanted to try the mojito version next.

For those of you who have been following my stuck SP ferment (stuck @ 1.022).........................I have an update. You may recall, I racked it into a secondary and placed it in the garage, not really expecting a whole lot. Yesterday I noticed it was foaming and actively fermenting..........go figure! Nothing new except it was placed in a cooler area than when I was trying to get it "unstuck". The lesson to be learned here, I think, is NEVER GIVE UP..........SEE WHAT FATHER TIME WILL DO!.........................Dizzy

Another way of creating new, and different takes on the SP OR DDDB, for that matter, would be to create the receipe per directions, and then to individual glasses splash mint-infused rum?, tequila?, etc.?......................................Dizzy

Another way of creating new, and different takes on the SP OR DDDB, for that matter, would be to create the receipe per directions, and then to individual glasses splash mint-infused rum?, tequila?, etc.?......................................Dizzy

I'll continue to make my Mojito wine with the additions in the carboy because I love it that much. But like I mentioned, the margarita SP version isn't my favorite because it's too strong for me. Thankfully though I have some friends who love it! So it would definitely be smart to add rum or whatever enhancements to a glass of traditional DB or SP first to make sure it's liked well enough to have a whole batch in the cellar. I think I'll taste test a daiquiri version of DB tonight 😅

Do you use about 1 1/2 cup of rum infused with mint to make your Mojito version ? Going to bottle regular Skitter Pee today(just my second batch) and wanted to try the mojito version next.
Hi 😊 I actually started with a lime SP for my Mojito and added about 2 cups of the mint infused rum. This last time I actually used lime rum and it turned out really good. That might be a good choice since you are starting with a regular SP. Here's my actual additions...

2 cups mint infused lime rum (I used a good amount of dried mint for the infusion)
1 can of frozen limeade concentrate
Sugar to gravity of 1.010
Cap full of mint extract
Cap full of rum extract
5 drops of green food color

I also add a package of mojito Crystal Light but you can't find that anymore. Another option might be like a mojito cocktail mixer or just leave it out.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas!

For those of you who have been following my stuck SP ferment (stuck @ 1.022).........................I have an update. You may recall, I racked it into a secondary and placed it in the garage, not really expecting a whole lot. Yesterday I noticed it was foaming and actively fermenting..........go figure! Nothing new except it was placed in a cooler area than when I was trying to get it "unstuck". The lesson to be learned here, I think, is NEVER GIVE UP..........SEE WHAT FATHER TIME WILL DO!.........................Dizzy

Wow, who would have think! I've always tried to warm up the environment when something wasn't fermenting well so would never have thought that the opposite would apparently help. Or was it just giving it time, do you think? Whatever it was, that's awesome news 😊

Hi 😊 I actually started with a lime SP for my Mojito and added about 2 cups of the mint infused rum. This last time I actually used lime rum and it turned out really good. That might be a good choice since you are starting with a regular SP. Here's my actual additions...

2 cups mint infused lime rum (I used a good amount of dried mint for the infusion)
1 can of frozen limeade concentrate
Sugar to gravity of 1.010
Cap full of mint extract
Cap full of rum extract
5 drops of green food color

I also add a package of mojito Crystal Light but you can't find that anymore. Another option might be like a mojito cocktail mixer or just leave it out.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas!
Val, I haven't seen lime rum, but I will be on the look out next time to town. I did, however, copycat your idea on infusing rum, but I used fresh mint from my garden, set the bottle of 100 proof rum (w/mint leaves) in the sun for a few days. Since my SP evidently is restarting "on its own" in my garage, I will wait for it to ferment out before backsweetening. You and I have exchanged posts on the green food coloring, if you remember.? Well, I found a natural food coloring for LIME GREEN , which I have ordered for the SP. I, personally, didn't like the MINT GREEN color that regular green food coloring provided.......just my preference, but whatever floats our boat, right?............................Dizzy

Wow, who would have think! I've always tried to warm up the environment when something wasn't fermenting well so would never have thought that the opposite would apparently help. Or was it just giving it time, do you think? Whatever it was, that's awesome news 😊
Thanks, Val, I am so looking forward to trying this wine.!! Dunno if it was the cool temp, or father time, or the good Lord takin-a-likin to me, but I am thrilled.! Also, I have found the most amazing, fun label to apply for those gift bottles I will give to family. No friends to give to............all church folk who don't imbibe............their loss! LOL...........................Dizzy

Thanks, Val, I am so looking forward to trying this wine.!! Dunno if it was the cool temp, or father time, or the good Lord takin-a-likin to me, but I am thrilled.! Also, I have found the most amazing, fun label to apply for those gift bottles I will give to family. No friends to give to............all church folk who don't imbibe............their loss! LOL...........................Dizzy

I would love to see a pic of the label!

I'm about the opposite...no close family to share my wine with but I have lots of friends who like it. Before Covid, we spent at least one night a week sitting in the kitchen or on the patio with a few bottles. Between not being able to do that and having lots of time to make wine, my cellar is overflowing...not that I'm complaining about having a full cellar or anything 🤣

Val, I haven't seen lime rum, but I will be on the look out next time to town. I did, however, copycat your idea on infusing rum, but I used fresh mint from my garden, set the bottle of 100 proof rum (w/mint leaves) in the sun for a few days. Since my SP evidently is restarting "on its own" in my garage, I will wait for it to ferment out before backsweetening. You and I have exchanged posts on the green food coloring, if you remember.? Well, I found a natural food coloring for LIME GREEN , which I have ordered for the SP. I, personally, didn't like the MINT GREEN color that regular green food coloring provided.......just my preference, but whatever floats our boat, right?............................Dizzy

That's pretty cool! Would you send me the link for the food coloring so I can check it out? And of course, I need pictures when it's done 😊

Last year, I used fresh mint from my backyard pot for the infusion but decided to try the dried this time. The lime rum I found was from Bacardi. It's got a bit of sweetness to it so it's kind of yummy to taste on it's own 😉

I just checked my lime Skeeter and it finished fermenting at .988. It was already starting to clear in the primary so I've been racking and treating this morning. I went what I thought was easy on my backsweeten but it ended up a little higher than I wanted at 1.016. It's still a long way from @hounddawg 's 1.040 though so I figure I'm good 🤣🤣🤣. After being so paranoid about my ferment, it did great even with adding all the lemon and lime juice up front. Waiting 24 hours after mixing up the batch before pitching the yeast in addition to slowly adding must to yeast before pitching it must have been the key.

I just checked my lime Skeeter and it finished fermenting at .988. It was already starting to clear in the primary so I've been racking and treating this morning. I went what I thought was easy on my back sweeten but it ended up a little higher than I wanted at 1.016. It's still a long way from @hounddawg 's 1.040 though so I figure I'm good 🤣🤣🤣. After being so paranoid about my ferment, it did great even with adding all the lemon and lime juice up front. Waiting 24 hours after mixing up the batch before pitching the yeast in addition to slowly adding must to yeast before pitching it must have been the key.
i have heard so many say they have no problems starting SP or other high acid wines, , so i know it is true and that i am a butter knife in a drawer of steak knives, but i add just a little at the start of the ferment
and the rest when the ferments starts to slow
Dawg

Latest posts

Back