Skeeter Pee HIGH OCTANE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Well, ladies and gentlemen i was about to make mead untill i discoverd just how expensive honey is as of late -_-. So i decided instead to make high octane skeeter pea. So here i am 11 dollars poorer with 10 lbs of sugar and 64 oz's of lemon juice. Sounds like a hell ova time to me kids.

The recipie.

9 cups of sugar per gallon.
19 oz of lemon juice per gallon.
1 tsp of tomatoe paste per gallon ( nutrient)
2 tsp of yeast energizer per gallon

Priemier cuvree Redstar yeast with a honey starter with lemon added. ( was gona make mead with it)

Enough water to fill the container the rest of the way up.

Right now i have the lemon juice sitting with the sugar. Im going to add the rest of the water sometime tonight. Im shooting for a starting potential alcohol of 18 percent. I figure its gona finish kinda sweet but if it dont... Well then atleast ive made rocket fuel. I hope to produce 3 gallons worth.

ok, I can't resist - why are you trying to make such a high alcohol skeeter pee?

I'm sorry but wny on earth would you Add tomato paste to that ,gagging as I type ? Secondly why would you want to make such a high Alc % on SP or any wine for that matter ??????????? YUCK .

Im using the tomatoe paste as nutrient. I dont have any nutrient or dap sitting around so im going to use that as its high in nitrogen and other goodies the yeasties love.

As for the high alcohol content, im wanting to see just how high i can make the yeast go in a semi hostile enviroment. That is part of the fun of this expirement. Plus, i want to know what it taste like when i make something with too much alcohol in it. Its all part of the learning process.

Plus, if i think that it is just plain nasty i could always blend it with some low octane skeeter.

Im using the tomatoe paste as nutrient. I dont have any nutrient or dap sitting around so im going to use that as its high in nitrogen and other goodies the yeasties love.

As for the high alcohol content, im wanting to see just how high i can make the yeast go in a semi hostile enviroment. That is part of the fun of this expirement. Plus, i want to know what it taste like when i make something with too much alcohol in it. Its all part of the learning process.

Plus, if i think that it is just plain nasty i could always blend it with some low octane skeeter.

:) OMG you are such the scientist, good luck to you and let me know how this comes out.

Its all part of the learning process.

Well I predict that within a year if you hang around and haven't died from some crazy science experiment, you will be one of the more knowledgable people on here. The only way to learn is by making the effort in trying, and with that you are trying everything and then some. When you say I have been there done that you will have something to reference it to.

Good luck, and if this turns out to be up around 18% you will only be 77% away from shine. LOL

PW

Thank you, the encouragment is welcome. I learn by reading and hearing from others.. but really nothing beats seing it for yourself.... Just curious what do yall think its gona taste like?

Ok i have it seperated into 4 dif fermenters...

1 gal = 20.3 Potential alcohol

1 gal = 23 Potential.

My 2 smaller half gallon fermenters are at 17.5 percent.

So here is what is confusing me. i used the same ammount of sugar in all of them. I did not invert the sugar. Do you think that undisolved sugar is making the reading go that far off?

Seth, I applaud you on your experimentation. Before going into it you already know it may be something you dump, but on the other hand you may discover something great. Besides I bet if you lived by a college, the kids would snag it up real fast..LOL, not suggesting that. In addition what you learn from this inexpensive experiment might just save a future batch of something else. Stick to your experiments, take lots of notes, learn from them, keep us posted and don't be discouraged from negative comments. Good luck!

Thanks, ill stay by this experiment. Will the overly high sugar content hurt fermentation.. should i pour some out 2 cups from each 1 gallon container and put the stuff i pour out into a half gallon container and top off each container with water to lower the sugar content?

I'm no expert but I don't think the yeast will make it to that point before dying out. However if they do make it there this would be a good learning experience, with doing four different experiments at one time.

PW

Yea, it would be that anyways.. what im worried about is that the yeast might not even be able to start with the sugar that high tho

I too apreciate the scientist in you buddy. But I would not experiment with ANY recipe until you have at least tried the original first. But more power too you.

I too make my Pee a little hotter than the original recipe.

But according to the original recipe. There is a good reason why you don't add all the lemon juice, or all of the nutrient and energizer in the begining. I hope you at least looked through Lons recipe before you start playing around to much.

I'd hate for you to find out you did something you will regret and end up dumping it.

But, all the same, good luck in what ever you venture into. I hope you are keeping detailed notes on all these experiments, a real scientist would. LOL

Keep in mind that sugar in high enough levels is a preservative of sorts (this is part of the reason you can keep a jar of jelly in the fridge for years and it won't mold). When you start out any batch with very high levels of sugar, yeast can have trouble getting started. For this reason, many people who are shooting for high alcohol ferments will do periodic feedings of sugar rather than starting with a very high S.G. in the beginning. Good luck.

alright, if it looks like its having trouble ill turn my three gallon batch into a 4 gallon batch. That should lower the sugar down enough.

Ok artic, you asked for some real notes lol. These are strait from my cell phone note taker device lol

I blendedd down the 1 gal containers by adding a quart of water to them each. I poured off a quart from each one into a half gallon container and topped it off with water. I have two 46 oz containers from yesterday. Their gravity seems to of moved down for some reason... either bad reading last night or fast fermentation..

Grean tea container blend down is now at 19%

Lemon tea container blend down is 13%

Mixed half gallon of juicey juice is at 16% ( a mix of lemon tea container and green tea container with a little extra water to top off)

46 oz grape juicey container is at 14.2%

46 oz mango juicey juice container iss at 17%

And here i am thinking i added the same ammount of sugar to all of them -_-.

Dude, I have heard of people running their vehicles on vegetable oil, you could be the first to run it on wine!!! LOL

As I am sure you realize all fruits(juices) will have different amounts of natural sugars, if any. Thats why only a hydrometer can tell you where you are at. Theres a calculator in here somewhere that will tell you how much sugar to add to a particular SG to bring it up to your target level. I have never looked at it. If youre interested maybe someone can locate it for you. I think Tom posted it originally.

haha, that would be great lol. None of those containers have fruit juice in them.. they are just empty containers im using to ferment the skeeter in. I figured i would keep the labels on them so that i could keep all of my readings and stuff strait.

Seth go to google and enter "chaptalization" there are quite a few references about it. This is the process of adding sugar slowly to your ferment to increase alcohol to its max.

Leanne was just telling me she made some "kilju", Finnish, sugar wine, that she was able to get up over 25% by using this method using BREAD yeast. I have no reason to doubt her, although I find this hard to imagine. She is soon to be my wife so I had better say, ggod job honey, instead of saying, "yeah right"!!!! LOL

I have 2 gallons of apple wine going that I am going to try to max out by doing this, I used Cuvee however on this. If it turns out as hoped I will back sweeten it, but it should have a helluva kick.

She said she started her kilju at 1.085, and when it came down to 1.000, she added 1 cup of sugar(dissolved of course), and continued to do this until the yeast finally gave out. Although I think doing this would be better by using cuvee or champagne yeast, she said fresh bakers yeast will get up there pretty good.

Just a thought for your experimenting table.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back