Skeeter Pee DB version help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
In about 7 days my quad berry Dragon Blood will be transferred to secondary so I will have quite a lot of lees as well as used fruit pack that I intend to use to bake Skeeter Pee with some berry flavor. I’ve never made SP so could anyone explain how/when to use the lees. I intend to start with 6 gallons.
thanks !

I've done it three ways.
1. After racking wine into secondary, transfer lees into a container and put it in the refrigerator until I prepare the ingredients according to the recipe. Then pour the lees into the primary.
2. Prepare the water and other ingredients a couple days ahead to save time, then just pour it all into the primary containing the slurry.
3. After racking wine into secondary, pour the water, lemon juice, table sugar and other ingredients right into the primary containing the lees without any preparation and go from there.

Basically, when you transfer your wine to secondary you start the SP using the slurry instead of a yeast packet. You'll want to make sure do the transfer while your wine is still actively fermenting. I've also used a depleted slurry just for the color and added a EC-1118 packet. SP is so cheap to make, it's ideal for experimenting with. So far it's all made SP just fine.

I should mention that on his website, when it's up, Lon recommends against using a skeeter pee slurry to make another skeeter pee. Dragon's Blood is essentially a SP variant. I believe the concern is stressed yeast causing off flavors.

Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I needed. I will probably use the 3rd way. It’s a moderate investment in this kind of wine so I will try anyway.

Back