Skeeter is now my best seller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keg and carbonate all of my SP and DB. It's next level.

What type of volume are you talking about with the keg/carbonate? I'm curious to give this a try but I know zero about kegs, CO2, fridges to hold it etc. Can one do a trial/small scale of like a gallon? ie: is there equipment to do such a thing?

M38A1- I use the item below for small test batches when I don't want to tie up my kegerator. Works well and the small Co2 cartredges are easy to find if you don't want to buy a big tank or whole system. You can find lots of similar options out there on the interwebs.

https://www.amazon.com/NutriChef-Pr...eywords=beer+carbonator&qid=1597257242&sr=8-4

Well, I ordered the updated version (black/removable doo-dads) last night. Should be here in a couple days. Thank you.

Skeeter Pee is by far my all time favorite. The only problem is keeping it in stock. The people that say they don't care for SP might want to try it at a different sweetness.

When my SP is finished, I rack it into 1 gallon jugs, I then back-sweeten to different SGs before bottling. I sweeten from 1.015 to 1.03. This make a huge difference for some people and the difference between giving it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

As far as making Dragon Blood I go the simple route. I take one bottle of SP and mix it with one bottle of whatever fruit wine I want. It has never failed and to say it's "easy peasy" would be an understatement.

I might add one important thing. For me and most of my family and friends, we enjoy our SP not only cold, but on the rocks, it make a BIG difference. imho

Give it a try, you just might change your mind.

Skeeter Pee is by far my all time favorite. The only problem is keeping it in stock. The people that say they don't care for SP might want to try it at a different sweetness.

When my SP is finished, I rack it into 1 gallon jugs, I then back-sweeten to different SGs before bottling. I sweeten from 1.015 to 1.03. This make a huge difference for some people and the difference between giving it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

As far as making Dragon Blood I go the simple route. I take one bottle of SP and mix it with one bottle of whatever fruit wine I want. It has never failed and to say it's "easy peasy" would be an understatement.

I might add one important thing. For me and most of my family and friends, we enjoy our SP not only cold, but on the rocks, it make a BIG difference. imho

Give it a try, you just might change your mind.
my skeeter pee port FSG of 1.040 goes faster then i can count,
Dawg

for years have heard of skitter pee, it sounded like a joke, at least to me,,, but once i gave it a try,
now family and friends seem irritated to hear me say, I'll make more as soon as i have a couple empty carboys, a year or so ago, in two months i increased my carboy stock by 11, and 5 of those carboys are dedicated solely to skitter pee, Dang bunch of babies around me, now that being said, i really have but one rule, if i feel any are using my wines as buzz material then that type gets no more,,,
Dawg

OK now you have my attention. I have to make some. I see a yeast slurry is preferred. Do any of you use yeast if slurry is not available?

just corked 6 gal, sour cherry skeeter . adding 7.5oz glycerin made a very nice change to this batch.
your sink , is it just one large basin, i kinda like that, mine is 3 separate ones ,,, a carboy will not fit in them but they can hold 3 carboys for drying, , from outside it looks like two, but from where your carboy is sitting in it , it looks line one large basin and i really like that,
Dawg

your sink , is it just one large basin, i kinda like that, mine is 3 separate ones ,,, a carboy will not fit in them but they can hold 3 carboys for drying, , from outside it looks like two, but from where your carboy is sitting in it , it looks line one large basin and i really like that,
Dawg
It is two basins with a drain board, the overhead sprayer an hi rise faucet are the cats ass for washing carboys.

It is two basins with a drain board, the overhead sprayer an hi rise faucet are the cats ass for washing carboys.
no doubt about that, ,,, mine has a drain board on each end, my faucet i put a splitter on,, so i have use of my faucet or a food grade water hose with shut off nozzle, i love mine, but i really do like yours, a whole lot, ,,, yours is the bomb for carboys,,,,:HB
Dawg

OK now you have my attention. I have to make some. I see a yeast slurry is preferred. Do any of you use yeast if slurry is not available?

The thing about SP is that a) it is very acidic and b) it does contain some sorbate so being able to pitch a very large colony of active yeast may result in a batch that ferments problem free and those are the two main reasons to use a yeast slurry. The slurry from a successful batch suggests the presence of a large and healthy yeast colony. BUT if the batch of wine from which this slurrry was harvested was stressful for the yeast then (IMO) the colony of yeast may be hobbled before you even begin.
An alternative approach is to open a fresh pack of yeast and perhaps create a strong starter that you pitch. Even if you simply pitch the dry yeast straight onto the must you might consider adding your lemon juice in batches and not all at once. In other words, if you intend to use say 3 bottles of juice (about 100 fl oz), then add ONE bottle to the total volume of sugar water and allow that to ferment a few days or weeks, and then when the gravity drops to half the original starting gravity, add the second bottle and when that drops by half again (say 1.090 to 1.045 and then to 1.020 add the third bottle). In the course of fermentation the number of active yeast cells will have increased and the total amount of acidity will have increased but that last increase will have increased in line with the size of the colony...

the skeeter pee i make is 1 quart to six gallons water, adding yeast nutrient & yeast energizer, and sugar for alcohol ,, once ferment is over just before i rack from primary i and lemon juice till i have 1 qt lemon juice to 1 gallon water, then i rack and let clear, come bottle time i back sweeten to taste , then pour a fifth of 180 proof grain alcohol, into a 6.5 carboy, then rack my ready to bottle into that 6.5 carboy, then bottle, i use E-1118 YEAST step feeding sugar,, till the yeast dies out at 18 ABV, taste like lemonade but kicks like a mule, great for bed time
Dawg

the skeeter pee i make is 1 quart to six gallons water, adding yeast nutrient & yeast energizer, and sugar for alcohol ,, once ferment is over just before i rack from primary i and lemon juice till i have 1 qt lemon juice to 1 gallon water, then i rack and let clear, come bottle time i back sweeten to taste , then pour a fifth of 180 proof grain alcohol, into a 6.5 carboy, then rack my ready to bottle into that 6.5 carboy, then bottle, i use E-1118 YEAST step feeding sugar,, till the yeast dies out at 18 ABV, taste like lemonade but kicks like a mule, great for bed time
Dawg
Dawg, do you age your SP or consider it ready for drinking right away?

I plan to make some for a summer party and am thinking about how far ahead of time I need to start it (among other planned batches of wine).

Edit to add that I am planning to make the regular version, not your famous port SP. 😎

Last edited:
[QUOTE ="Jovimaple, post: 789398, member: 46619"]
Dawg, do you age your SP or consider it ready for drinking right away?

I plan to make some for a summer party and am thinking about how far ahead of time I need to start it (among other planned batches of wine).
[/QUOTE]
i like to age it about 6 months, and it really smooths out, at a year it tastes like lemon candy, i started making mine this way because my aunt had terminal cancer, and she said it worked better then her meds for both pain and seeping, after she passed i just kept making it that way to sleep, I'm a insomniac,,, i got 5#-6's clearing now, and a couple cases from last winter, to me i like aging it,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back