Skeeter is now my best seller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36973

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
I have to share that I'd never heard of SP until last year. I made small commercial trial batch to test the waters for customer appeal and it sold out within weeks. I doubled the batch for the next round and dealt with issues I had with first batch. After a month it too is almost sold out and I have another one going.

In less that 3 months SP has knocked off the previous best seller that had been on top for over 3 years.

Cheers!

Ha. Of course they are.
I meant that - do I have enough time to make and enjoy it before the heat wave ends.

Ha. Of course they are.
I meant that - do I have enough time to make and enjoy it before the heat wave ends.

Well if it isn't done for this years heatwave, you can always enjoy it next year. Course you will probably have to make another batch for next year because you drank this one at Halloween or Turkey day or Christmas. Make and enjoy. Arne.

Ha. Of course they are.

My batches last about a month and that's because I sit on it that long before I give it away where it's consumed immediately by friends and family. It must be good because they always return the empty bottles with "more please" and a smile on their face.

I have to share that I'd never heard of SP until last year. I made small commercial trial batch to test the waters for customer appeal and it sold out within weeks. I doubled the batch for the next round and dealt with issues I had with first batch. After a month it too is almost sold out and I have another one going.

In less that 3 months SP has knocked off the previous best seller that had been on top for over 3 years.

Cheers!

I'm curious as to what 'volumes' you create. My largest batch thus far is 12 gallons.

I made a couple hundred gallons of a Blueberry Lemon version of Dragon's Blood for the winery. It sold like crazy. I've been out of it for about a year, but every day people come in asking for it. My wife has now started putting a check mark on our blackboard every time someone asks to remind me I have to make it again.

I made a couple hundred gallons of a Blueberry Lemon version of Dragon's Blood for the winery. It sold like crazy. I've been out of it for about a year, but every day people come in asking for it. My wife has now started putting a check mark on our blackboard every time someone asks to remind me I have to make it again.

WOW! That's a lot of DB. My 12gal of Blueberry Lemon is sitting there patiently clearing. Thinking it will get racked this weekend, see if it needs more clearing and go from there.

Have you ever tried carbonating it? I always wondered what some of these wines like db and sp would be like.

I'm curious as to what 'volumes' you create. My largest batch thus far is 12 gallons.

I've been making 160 gal batches recently as I fine tune the process. It tends to foam big-time during deacidify so I have to leave a lot of head space in the tank. I may move it to my larger tank next time so I can make a 240 or 320 gal batch.

Blueberry Lemon

I mixed some of our lemon and blueberry as a trial but it seemed like the mix lost the best parts of each of the wines. The blueberry flavor was diluted and the lemon in the background. Maybe I'll have to try the mix again and reevaluate it

I've been making 160 gal batches recently as I fine tune the process. It tends to foam big-time during deacidify so I have to leave a lot of head space in the tank. I may move it to my larger tank next time so I can make a 240 or 320 gal batch.

I mixed some of our lemon and blueberry as a trial but it seemed like the mix lost the best parts of each of the wines. The blueberry flavor was diluted and the lemon in the background. Maybe I'll have to try the mix again and reevaluate it
I was thinking about doing a blueberry lemon by doing a straight Skeeter pee and then adding the concentrated blueberry syrup that my brew shop sells. I think I'll add it in after stabilizing but it could be nice in secondary fermentation.

What's your blueberry lemon recipe?

What's your blueberry lemon recipe?

My version was a straight SP for 6 gallons and then a straight DB using 10lbs frozen blueberries, again for a six gallon batch. Both got mixed together into my 60L primary and went from there. I had to back sweeten it to 1cup sugar/gallon to get it where we liked it. That's a personal preference.

It. Was. Awesome.

When you back sweeten do you add add the sugar directly or make a simple syrup?

I use a 2:1 ratio of sugar to water, ie: 5 cups sugar and 2.5 cups water. I bring it to a very slight boil then reduce the head and simmer it about 15-20 minutes to steam off some of the moisture. Then let it rest a few minutes and pour it into my carboy and hit it with my whip fairly slow to incorporate it.

My version was a straight SP for 6 gallons and then a straight DB using 10lbs frozen blueberries, again for a six gallon batch. Both got mixed together into my 60L primary and went from there. I had to back sweeten it to 1cup sugar/gallon to get it where we liked it. That's a personal preference.

It. Was. Awesome.
Cool recipe!
I'm thinking that I'll do a SP and in secondary, I'll throw in some dried blueberries and a blueberry extract, and let it sit for a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back