Skeeter is now my best seller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Skeeter was percolating right along but has slowed down to 1 burp about every 7-8 seconds. SG today was 1.05 and 1.07 on these two. I'm wondering if I need to add a little more nutrient or energizer for the yeast. I'm hoping it doesn't stall too early. The taste was fizzy, slight lemon and not much of a kick if any.

My Skeeter was percolating right along but has slowed down to 1 burp about every 7-8 seconds. SG today was 1.05 and 1.07 on these two. I'm wondering if I need to add a little more nutrient or energizer for the yeast. I'm hoping it doesn't stall too early. The taste was fizzy, slight lemon and not much of a kick if any.
If you have it under airlock instead of in an open bucket, it'll be slower because it doesn't have access to as much oxygen. Do you have a fermenting bucket you could use?

I start all my wines in a bucket with a towel over it. I do have a heater pad under the bucket, set to about 72 or 74 degrees F, because the room gets cooler than the yeastie beasties like. So far I haven't had any issues with fermenting.

I just started my first skeeter pee batch 3 nights ago - a 3 gallon batch. I used half the lemon, all the sugar and tannin, 3 gallons water (I will get a little extra for topping off), half the yeast nutrient and energizer, stirred everything well, and set it on the heater pad (set for 74 degrees F). S.G. was 1.080. After about 24 hours, I started 1 pckg EC-1118 yeast in a 100 degree cup of water for 15 minutes, then stirred it into the must. Yesterday, about 16 hours after I pitched the yeast, the S.G. was 1.075. Today, I see even more bubbles and foam. I will take the S.G. tonight to give it a full 24 hours since my last check. And I also stir the must at least once a day to get more oxygen to the yeast on every batch (except the kit wines I have done because I follow the directions on those for the most part).

I rack it and put it under airlock only after the S.G. is below 1.010.

Edit: I did have trouble with one batch starting to ferment, but I realized later that I had used a campden tablet and should have waited longer than 8 hours before pitching the yeast. On day 2 after pitching the yeast and not seeing much going on, I just added more yeast and it took off after that.

IMG_4054.JPEG

Last edited:
Yes, I have this under airlock. I started with one batch. The acid from the lemon must have been too strong so I split it in half, added water to two carboys with extra sugar, nutient, energizer and ended up with enough to fill a 6.5 gallon and 5 gallon carboy. It started right up when I did this and added the yeast which had been in warm water for several hours and was going well before I added.

I don't have buckets or a bucket that will hold all of this. I guess I may need to get a couple. I haven't stirred it because I got the carboys so full it would have run over the top. My drill is over at the other house we are renovating. Perhaps I should get a couple buckets and go with that and start stirring. The room where they are stays a fairly nice 75 degrees.

Maybe just remove the airlocks and cover the tops with a thin towel - it might let a little more air in and speed things up a tad - at least until you can get some food grade buckets.

My biggest bucket is 7.9 gallons and I ordered it from Northern Brewer (Plastic Wine Fermenter with Lid 7.9 Gal Master Vintner) They ship for free if the order is $40 or more, so I got a few other things, too - I can always find more to buy to get free shipping! (They are actually located here in MN but I wasn't shopping in person until recently so I had mine shipped.)

I actually did use the lid on this with my 6 gallon DB batch but only because the towel I had would have fallen in so I set the lid on it without snapping it down, then laid the towel on top. That's the only time I have actually used one of my fermenting bucket lids so far.

Last edited:
Jovimaple-thank you. I think I will go remove the airlocks right now and set a towel over them. I think perhaps I will purchase 3 food grade buckets. I can rack and divide this into 3 buckets. That would be easier for me to manage weight wise anyway. There is not much sediment at the bottom of these, so I think I can get it all back in my 5 and 2 3gallon buckets when the time comes. Perhaps I will have to do 2 5gallon plus another gallon after I add the rest of the lemon. I'm really enjoying this new hobby. I just hope the wine turns out tasty enough to enjoy when it's done.

I removed the airlocks, covered with a cloth and tried to do at least a minimum of stirring. I took a few sips (too sweet and not much flavor yet) to add a little space at the top so I could stir without overflowing. Funny thing was I woke up at 3:00 a.m. and was worried I couldn't hear it burp, then I remembered I had removed the airlocks. Duh.

I have a tough time with the big buckets by myself. I am sticking with 3 gallon carboys for the same reason - I can JUST manage to move a full 3 gallon myself, but I usually have hubby do it if he's around. I move them between the kitchen, where I usually mix the must and do the racking and bottling, to the laundry room, where they ferment and clear.

My fermenter mentor coworker set a workout goal for me to be able to move full 5 and 6 gallon carboys myself by June. 😂🤣😂 Yeah, that's not happening. Ha!

Well it's been two year since jg started this post about SP being his best seller and I understand why. Although I have replied a couple time on this thread through the years,I would like to add a couple more thoughts

After making my first batch of SP we all enjoy it so much that I no longer make any other wines . The berry wines that I have in my wine cabinet are used mainly to add to the SP to make instant "Dragon's Blood" if anyone requests .

I have tweaked the recipe to my liking and still back-sweeten to different finish SG ( 1.015-1.03 ) for different preferences.

The only thing I haven't tried yet that I will now do, is trying to age some. Dawg has done this with excellent results. We enjoy the SP so much "as is" that I cant imagine , and can't wait to try some that has had the time to age.

Till next time....enjoy.

I have a tough time with the big buckets by myself. I am sticking with 3 gallon carboys for the same reason - I can JUST manage to move a full 3 gallon myself, but I usually have hubby do it if he's around. I move them between the kitchen, where I usually mix the must and do the racking and bottling, to the laundry room, where they ferment and clear.

My fermenter mentor coworker set a workout goal for me to be able to move full 5 and 6 gallon carboys myself by June. 😂🤣😂 Yeah, that's not happening. Ha!
you ever thought abouta allinone vacuumpump from @vacuumpumpman , i'm fairl bad health, my carboys are mainly 6 gallon and a few 6.5, never half to lift nothing but empty carboys,
Dawg

you ever thought abouta allinone vacuumpump from @vacuumpumpman , i'm fairl bad health, my carboys are mainly 6 gallon and a few 6.5, never half to lift nothing but empty carboys,
Dawg
Oh, yes, I love my AIO pump! My husband does, too, because it means I don't need his help like I did with my first few batches of wine.

Latest posts

Back