Size of carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Main man

Reaction score
I have come across a glass carboy that on the bottom it says 2004 NRC 40 M-3008. I'm assuming it is fine for bulk storage. It appears to be over 6 gallons and may be 7 or 7.5 gallons. Can anybody identify it and tell me what it's capacity is?

Search Google for that exact text and you’ll find a few hits. It’s a glass carboy obviously, but it could be 6.5, 7, or 7.5 gallons. The nomenclature doesn’t describe volume. You’ll have to fill it and see.

I use 6.5 gal for my kill jar. It's where the Kmeta, sorbate (if used), glycerin, C&K go, with the 1st rack. There's generally enough headspace so that I don't get foamed out when degassing. There is still enough CO2 in the wine that it covers the headspace while the wine rests and settles.

I have 2 carboys with that NRC… embossed on the bottom, they are both 7 gallon capacity. Only way to know for sure is to measure it as you fill it or if you have an appropriate scale weigh it tare and gross, calculate the volume and temperature correct.

Back