Six month mark.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nesmith

Reaction score
My Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot are both reaching the six month aging process. We tasted them a couple of days ago and not too bad. I bought a Argentina Malbec and will probably start fermentation tomorrow.

Dumb question. What would be the difference between another six months in a carboy or bottles?

Really not a dumb question at all, you will probably get differing opinions. Your wine is still going through many changes and if bottled you have what you have. If left in a carboy you have the opportunity to make adjustments should you see necessary.

Really not a dumb question at all, you will probably get differing opinions. Your wine is still going through many changes and if bottled you have what you have. If left in a carboy you have the opportunity to make adjustments should you see necessary.
Thanks that makes sense now.

Yup, there is controversy on the topic of bulk aging. My $0.02 --

If you are aging in a barrel, further bulk aging produces changes due to evaporation through the wood of the barrel. Keep aging or bottle at your own discretion.

If aging in a carboy, if you are less than satisfied with the wine and want to make tweaks, keep it in the carboy.

If the wine is clear and has been clear for a month and you do not want to tweak, bottle it.

I bottled the Cab Sauvignon. Got a little over 30 bottles. My wife liked it and thought it was good. The Merlot is still in the carboy. We thought it was better than the Cab so I will probably bottle it in a few weeks. I have six gallons of Argentina Malbec fermenting right now. Thanks everybody for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back