Siphoning from primary into secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ805

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a hard time siphoning from primary into secondary? Between getting carbon dioxide in the siphon and grape skins stuck at the bottom it seems near impossible, even after doing my best to remove the skins. Perhaps I just need to invest in a better siphon? Any other suggestions?

1.float a colander in the must set you siphon down into the colander. juice will flow in as you press down siphon without a problem
2 don't punch down the must on the day you plan on racking. must will float to the top. just push siphon down to bottom of fermentor and siphon off free run juice then press the rest.

A ss hopper strainer works excellently for me. just put the siphon inside the strainer and dip into must. This is free run. the rest including skin just goes into a nylon bag with a scoop. give a sqeeze and collect into another bottle. it is press run. let it settle for two days with a small dose of chitosan, usually retrieve 80% from it.

Thanks guys, I will try those suggestions

Kit, juice, fruit, grapes?

Do you have a step to “press” the must, removing the wine from the skins?

I used fresh grapes from local wineries, hand pressed.

Back