Single Vine Wilting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinL

Reaction score
This is most unusual. I came out the other day, and one of my Vidal Blanc vines that survived the winter suddenly started wilting. It is in a row of other Vidal. All of the vines suffered severe bud loss from the -38 F night we had, but the ones that survived are looking healthy with minimum disease on the shoots. Our Spring and Summer this far has been incredibly wet and cool. I'd understand the sudden symptoms to be weather related if all of the other Vidal vines in the row were suffering the same fate. Instead it is just a single vine. The vine is a grafted vine on 101-14 rootstock. The trunk and graft appear no worse for wear, and it is only yesterday that the symptoms manifested.

1.jpg

Anyone seen this before? Any ideas what it is? Are the other nearby vines in danger? Treatment suggestions?

Any chance this guy is sitting in a low spot relative to the others? Or a spot that doesn't drain as well? Looks like excess water to me, but my vines grow on a beach, so this isn't something I really have any experience in.

H

I was thinking that was a possibility due to the near non-stop rain we've gotten. It does sit on one of the lower areas in the vineyard, but there are other vines of the same variety that are lower which still are healthy. We're looking at 4 more days straight of rain coming up.

I’ve lost 6 vines to this. Pretty sure it’s due to them being at the lowest spot in the vineyard with not so great drainage.

I had a second year verona vine that wilted, then collasped and died, and have no clue what happened. Was growed out, about five feet tall, training to twc trellis, and it all happened within about four days. Was not lower than the other vines that are all doing well. Frustrating, to say the least!

I have another Sab that looks like it’s on it’s the skids. I’ll get a photo tomorrow.

Because I have other vines that are lower in wetter areas, I wasn't exactly sure. This is a grafted Vidal vine. It is currently pushing up new growth below the graft, and the graft looks very swollen. I'm wondering now if it is Crown gall. I'll try and get a photo up soon.

The verona that I mentioned above is starting new growth coming out of the ground. No spraying, nothing that I can come up with for a reason this vine did that! Weird!

The new growth at the bottom is the vine trying to save itself. There may be a term for that but I’ve seen that on some of my very distressed vines. I tried to load a picture of my wilting Sab but it was too large. I might have to dig a trench to drain the low spot.

The new growth at the bottom is the vine trying to save itself. There may be a term for that but I’ve seen that on some of my very distressed vines. I tried to load a picture of my wilting Sab but it was too large. I might have to dig a trench to drain the low spot.

Yes it is! I had a spraying incedent a year ago last spring where a bunch of my vines got drift of toredon and 24D mixture. I ended up losing a number of vines, but of the ones I thought were lost, about half have came back up from the ground. Some have grown out a lot, while others are still struggling. Grape plants are tough, but the darn sprays that farmers are using now are bad poison, and are very hard on them!

Last edited:
Villa Vino, It was someone elses pic your refering to, I can't get a pic to post on this forum. A computer whizz I'm not!

When my spray incident took place, The airplane doing the spraying banked and turned right over my vineyard. I saw him do it. When I started seeing symptoms, I contacted my neighbor and he told me who sprayed it an what he sprayed. Contacted USDA, and they said it had been too long for them to do tests to prove it was the spray. I learned a lot that year. I also joined a program called drift watch, but it is only available in certain states. My wife called the applicator to make a complaint, and they tried to lie out of it by claiming the wind was blowing out of the north that day, and the neighbor had tried to claim it was blowing out of the east! It was blowing out of the south that day. Then the applicator was told by my wife that we were now registered on drift watch, and they told my wife that they don't pay any attention to that! My wife told him, "if you spray our grapes again, we will own your airplane! He then hung up on her. That my friends is what we are up against!

Last edited:
I have lost a few vines this year to too much water. I've already replaced 2 that did not come out in the spring. I just lost another that did just what you indicated (wilted). It barely survived the spring and finally succumb to it's problems.

Latest posts

Back