Simple Syrup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About a month ago I made a 2 part sugar to 1 part water syrup. Do you suppose it is still good, looks good?

Also, same topic different question, why is it not fermenting with the yeast that is supposed to be floating in the air in the winery. It is in a jar with a lid so maybe there is not enough O2 getting to it.

I’ve heard that sugar is a good preservative in high dosage, so maybe the solution is too high in sugar and lacks any nutrient for your resident yeast.

I’ve had some simple syrup hanging around, but it is so quick and cheap to make, I've never used the old stuff.

About a month ago I made a 2 part sugar to 1 part water syrup. Do you suppose it is still good, looks good?

Also, same topic different question, why is it not fermenting with the yeast that is supposed to be floating in the air in the winery. It is in a jar with a lid so maybe there is not enough O2 getting to it.

As @NorCal said, the water activity (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_activity) is probably too low to support growth. Think about why honey does not spoil -- this is the same reason.

Simple syrup can last a long time in a good sealed jar. long time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 16
Only problem I've had with simple syrup is that in the fridge it has started to crystallize - turn into "Rock candy" an old bad candy for the teeth.

Only problem I've had with simple syrup is that in the fridge it has started to crystallize - turn into "Rock candy" an old bad candy for the teeth.

As a kid, I tried to make rock candy... Never got much. It was like string encrusted with a bit of sugar crystals. Nothing like one could get in the store.

you don't' need to store it in the cool. Ambient will do.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back