Simple Sour

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Decided to experiment with making a sour.

5 #pilsner
3 # white wheat malt
1# Vienna malt
1# oats

Oyl 605 (48 hours)
California ale (S-05)
Oyl 212 (secondary)

ImageUploadedByWine Making1485539300.355526.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1485539314.762903.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1485539331.491916.jpg

I made a starter for the souring agent. After mash I will be souring the unhopped wort for 48 hours @ a range 70-90f
Then 2 weeks of primary ferm
Then 6 months of secondary.

I will break the entire batch up into single gallon & add different fruits to each gallon

ImageUploadedByWine Making1485566498.951680.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with this brew, Elmer. I am experimenting with a sour mead and with a Brett fermenting mead. I saw an ad for Omega yeasts. Are they liquid or dry?

Good luck with this brew, Elmer. I am experimenting with a sour mead and with a Brett fermenting mead. I saw an ad for Omega yeasts. Are they liquid or dry?

As previously stated they are liquid.
I have previously used their Dipa yeast with great results.
I have become a fan of Omega Yeast.
They are a great company with tremendous customer service, who have answered my every question.

Racked. Ended up with 4.7%
Kept 4 gallon which had used S-05 & added Brett (oyl-212)
1 gallon was combined between a batch which used Windsor ale yeast & S-05. & no brett ImageUploadedByWine Making1486850724.731848.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1486850754.493814.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1486850778.757170.jpg
So far there is a nice acidity, this will pair well when I add some fruit

Elmer, do you have to keep separate carboys/racking canes etc when using brett? I always stayed away from using it thinking I'd have to have another set of equipment or just make everything with brett sourness. Thanks.

Yes, I use separate racking cane and hoses.
I have marked all my bungs as "sour only" after they have been used with a sour.
I have to order a couple more AI1 bungs and beer bung so I can make racking sour easier!

After I racked I sanitize the heck out of the entire area with Star San! Just in case

Added some raspberry purée
Added a blow off tube since I expect fermentation will start again.
Aging for a few months before bottling.
Wish purée would not turn the beer murky, but that is the way it isImageUploadedByWine Making1489538527.933633.jpg
Before and afterImageUploadedByWine Making1489538563.924415.jpg

Elmer, will that clear to the degree it did before putting in the puree? The original carboy is nice and clear, will be looking forward to your tasting notes. I could see my wife liking something like that if the raspberry shines through the finished product.

Elmer, will that clear to the degree it did before putting in the puree? The original carboy is nice and clear, will be looking forward to your tasting notes. I could see my wife liking something like that if the raspberry shines through the finished product.

I don't know if the beer will ever be crystal clear again.
Right now that notes are sour, with a good funkiness and a touch of raspberry.
Actually made my eyes water, but I don't like the sour funk as much as swmbo does.
Hopes age refines the flavors a bit
Hope time also aides in some clarity

Latest posts

Back