Simple Bottle Cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
I would like to pass along something I learned yesterday that was very helpful.

I have been doing this for many years and have cleaned many many bottles. Some are relatively easy to get the labels off and others have glue that requires shall we say an effort. The bottles I wanted to clean were micro brewery 500 ml bottles the had a label intended to be used for many refills. It had a plastic coating, which peeled off fairly easy. I used a paint scraper to remove the paper label. That left the heaviest and stickiest glue residue I have ever come across. I did not really want to go through a lot of effort but the bottles were so perfect for beer/cider/SP.

I was told to try Lacquer Thinner. A bit on a cloth and the glue wipes right off. I was more than a bit skeptical but what the heck. I put some on a cloth and started wiping. It took only 30 seconds of easy rubbing and the bottle was perfectly clean. Unbelievable. I was told that it evaporates completely. Today I sniffed the bottle and couldn't detect anything and no solvent residue either. This is by far the easiest thing I have ever used. There is an odor when using it so read the label and don't clean in the same room as your wine.

I was about to give up on recycled bottles but now cleaning will be a breeze.

Cheers :try

I use charcoal starter, very similar probably to lacquer thinner to remove the left over gunk. Goo Gone (gel formula) works great for the really tough stuff as well.

ibglowin said:
I use charcoal starter, very similar probably to lacquer thinner to remove the left over gunk. Goo Gone (gel formula) works great for the really tough stuff as well.

I use Goo Gone that comes in a spray bottle. A quick spray and the glue softens to rinse with water.

I have found that a squirt of straight DAWN dishsoap does well.

PS but not on all glue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back