WineXpert Similar to Diablo Rojo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you made mead? I started a mead, roughly based on the JAOM recipe, or whatever they call it, in April. Bottled it in June also. It’s been way too harsh to enjoy, but it’s finally getting there. Hopefully in a few months it will be really good. It’s hard to know how long things take to age!

Have you made mead? I started a mead, roughly based on the JAOM recipe, or whatever they call it, in April. Bottled it in June also. It’s been way too harsh to enjoy, but it’s finally getting there. Hopefully in a few months it will be really good. It’s hard to know how long things take to age!

Rule of thumb:

Red kit with skins - 18-24 months.
Red kit no skins - 12-18 months.
White kit - 6-12 months.
Mead - ????? (Never made a mead)

Your mileage will vary... each wine peaks when it’s ready (wine can’t read a calendar unfortunately).

I see in two posts you use the word “harsh” to describe your beverage. It gives me a little concern that you’re bottling before your wine/mead is ready.

To me bottling means passing a three part test: is it completely degassed; is it perfectly clear/no longer dropping sediment; does it taste like it should (taking into account its relative youth).

For example: A wine that’s not completely degassed will have a harsh taste (zingy... bitey).

Rule of thumb:

White kit - 6-12 months.

Your mileage will vary... each wine peaks when it’s ready (wine can’t read a calendar unfortunately).

I see in two posts you use the word “harsh” to describe your beverage. It gives me a little concern that you’re bottling before your wine/mead is ready.

To me bottling means passing a three part test: is it completely degassed; is it perfectly clear/no longer dropping sediment; does it taste like it should (taking into account its relative youth).

For example: A wine that’s not completely degassed will have a harsh taste (zingy... bitey).
Yes probably the lack of degassing. I’ve gotten better with that with subsequent batches. One thing I’m confused on, gmann67. Why is my Diablo Rojo able to be drunk so early according to your chart? Thanks for tour responses. You sound like a well-seasoned wine maker!

Rule of thumb:

White kit - 6-12 months.

By the way -
Happy New Year!!!

Latest posts

Back