Silly question #43

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
The answer is probably here on the forum, but I'll ask again.
I racked my apple cider to the secondary carboys 48 hours ago. The SG was at 1.002. The temperature of the primary was around 80-85 F degrees. The secondaries were moved to a location where the temp dropped to about 70 F. Within less than 48 hours, there is about 1/2" of sediment in the bottoms of the carboys.
Is there a rule-of-thumb for elapsed time for a second racking? Will the cider clear faster if I rack now, rather than wait a week - or two?
I didn't have this problem with smaller batches. They were "finished" in less than two weeks. This is a 4 gallon batch, but it is now in two secondaries.
Any thoughts?

After I rack my wines to let them clear I'll let them sit for 4-6 weeks. Usually in a temperature around 65~70 degrees. I have always used bentonite for whites and sparkeloid for reds to help them clear. Some don't use anything except time.

By 6 weeks all the sediment should be out of if any remains it will be minute.
I'll rack again with a pinch of P.M. then let them sit in a cool mostly dark area to bulk age. This is when I'll add some cinnamon sticks for flavor to my apple wine.

I would let the sediment compact for easier racking. Nothing wrong with waiting a month

Latest posts

Back