Silly DB/SP aging question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I make a lot of DragonsBlood and SkeeterPee. As in I pretty much always have something going all the time. So far, very little of it gets put away for any length of time, and most winds up going out the door to friends and family who all love it. I think that's why I enjoy making it so much - to simply put a smile on other's faces and it can be drinkable in such a short time frame.

I'm doing a lot of the standard DB recipe with a variety of fruits, then using the gross lees one time for a SP batch of lemon/whatever-was-just-fermenting. Either are typically racked from PF (about a week) and after three days at .990+/-, then it clears in two weeks in a carboy where I rack it off into another and back sweeten. I let that sit about a week or two, then bottle. So it takes a minimum four weeks, sometimes six weeks from the start before consumption.

Am I doing everyone and myself a disservice by releasing for consumption after bottling with such a short production time? Does this product get better with time, and if so, 'what' changes?

I just want to make the best product I can with the skills and knowledge I have and if I can do it better, please let me know!

Two things come to mind with regard to aging. First, I find that my various DBs have an unpleasant vegetal note (like biting a stem or leaf) very early on. This diminishes in 5-7 days and goes away completely in 10-14 days. Second, over a couple of months the sweetness dissipates and the fruit flavor(s) seem to come more forward ... the wine becomes smoother; better IMHO. I have never had a batch sit around more than a couple of months, so we'll have to hear from someone else on that. :) YMMV

So far, very little of it gets put away for any length of time, and most winds up going out the door to friends and family who all love it. I think that's why I enjoy making it so much - to simply put a smile on other's faces and it can be drinkable in such a short time frame.
Anything past this gets into the realm of 'don't over think this too much'. If you want to save a few bottles for aging to do a test, then do so and not worry too much about the rest.

If I'm not mistaken both of these recipes were formulated with quick turn around in mind.

Latest posts

Back