silicong bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, i know i have ask this several times already, but i am very quick like a snail,
so from some of yawl thats used these for several years now, for bulk aging,
these airlockless silicone bungs, ,,, please PRO's & CON's,,, your thoughtsect....
Dawg

I tried to find a study I read probably two or three years ago about the waterless airlocks by Daniel Pambianchi. But, I was unsuccessful, so we are left with what I think I remember reading, which may well be very wrong, I almost certainly have consumed alcohol on many occasions, sometimes to excess since reading this. He indicated that the waterless ones he had tested led to increased level of Dissolved Oxygen in the wine after a relatively short time period, so I stopped using them.

I've been using them with tremendous success so far.

Just be sure to get quality ones from a reputable supplier. I ordered some from a local wine supplier who was trying to skimp on costs and that batch was terrible. I only use those on horizontal carboys that are clean and have kmeta in them.

Other than that, they've worked out really well for me so far.

They make me nervous, but I've been using them for a while now with no issues. I do really like not having to worry about water levels in the airlocks. The overwhelming majority of my airlocks are still the 'S' type though. I just like being able to visibly see if there's a seal - although that isn't always visible either.

They make me nervous, but I've been using them for a while now with no issues. I do really like not having to worry about water levels in the airlocks. The overwhelming majority of my airlocks are still the 'S' type though. I just like being able to visibly see if there's a seal - although that isn't always visible either.
@Boatboy24 can you pair them with pop tarts,,, lol snicker
Dawg

Nice idea, but I'm afraid of them. How would you know if one is defective, not just right, or not completely sealing? I use the double S airlocks. I can see what's happening; I can see pressure changes; the K-meta I put in the airlock lasts a long time and I don't have to worry about them running dry. I have a drawer full of the 3 piece airlocks that I never use.

I've been using them with tremendous success so far.

Just be sure to get quality ones from a reputable supplier. I ordered some from a local wine supplier who was trying to skimp on costs and that batch was terrible. I only use those on horizontal carboys that are clean and have kmeta in them.

Other than that, they've worked out really well for me so far.
@David Violante, do you mean that you lay a full carboy on it's side?

@mikewatkins727 OMG no… lol when I clean the carboys after use I’ll store them on their side with a little kmeta in them and use the inferior lot of Silicone bungs to plug the opening so that critters don’t get in. I’m just using them because I have them otherwise I would use a little square of kitchen cling with a rubber band.

Nice idea, but I'm afraid of them. How would you know if one is defective, not just right, or not completely sealing? I use the double S airlocks. I can see what's happening; I can see pressure changes; the K-meta I put in the airlock lasts a long time and I don't have to worry about them running dry. I have a drawer full of the 3 piece airlocks that I never use.
The had ones I received were super easy to spot. There was a disk of plastic on top of holes in a bung. It was more work and expense to return them than use them for things in which I didn’t need an airtight seal. Like paperweights. As with JohnD, I haven’t had any issues and totally trust the ones I get from MoreWine.

Latest posts

Back