silicong bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had them in carboys for, literally, years with no ill effects. I trust the ones that I have from MoreWine entirely.

Same here! I currently have 10 carboy's in use with them.

OK, i know i have ask this several times already, but i am very quick like a snail,
so from some of yawl thats used these for several years now, for bulk aging,
these airlockless silicone bungs, ,,, please PRO's & CON's,,, your thoughtsect....
Dawg
I use the silicone bungs all the time......love them..............no issues thus far........................................DizzyIzzy

As I look back at the OP, I suppose he could use solid bungs well after any potential fermentation has ended, I just use the breathable ones throughout.
Me too. I use to use solid bungs for bulk aging but they would sometimes get pushed out if it was not fully de-gassed. My rule of thumb (meaning I do this when I think about it) is to use an air lock until the 3 month racking, then switch to the breathable for the rest of the bulk aging.

Me too. I use to use solid bungs for bulk aging but they would sometimes get pushed out if it was not fully de-gassed. My rule of thumb (meaning I do this when I think about it) is to use an air lock until the 3 month racking, then switch to the breathable for the rest of the bulk aging.
Agreed, solid bungs require the wine to be fully degassed, and even then they are subject to pressure changes due to changes in temperature.

The only place I use solid bungs is barrels, which develop a vacuum due to evaporation through the wood, so popping the bung is unlikely unless the wine is not degassed.

For carboys I switch to vented bungs after the 1st racking after pressing or 2nd racking for juice/kits, when the wine is degassed, and if it isn't 100% degassed, the vented bung allows for it.

Latest posts

Back