Silicone Vented Bungs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumby

Wine improves with age, I improve with wine
Reaction score
Thoughts on silicone vented(breathable) bungs???? I don't see any downside to using these. I'm making the switch.

Same here, after reading about them on this forum.

I have 2 sizes, 1 for carboys and a larger size for Intellitanks (1 1/2 inch sanitary fittings)

100% happy with them.

They are slippery though, especially when sanitized with Star San, so check your stoppers an hour after install and make sure they are still set in place. No issues when installed dry.

I just bought a few to try from vintable, should have got more as the shipping was the most expensive part to Canada. Careful when inserting, I ended up sanitizing which made it slippery and forcing it in too far. Needless to say it's a good thing they are food grade as it now is at the bottom of the carboy. Careful when Inserting!

I just bought a few to try from vintable, should have got more as the shipping was the most expensive part to Canada. Careful when inserting, I ended up sanitizing which made it slippery and forcing it in too far. Needless to say it's a good thing they are food grade as it now is at the bottom of the carboy. Careful when Inserting!
Use a plastic bag to get the bung out, it works

I like the breathable bungs that can be turned into a solid bung.
I haven’t seen that part , , solid? , , valve like?
The breathable silicone at the local store has 4 or 5 vent holes. They leak when I apply a vacuum, , , as making a more robust headspace eliminator that will hold a vacuum for half a year, , , or sealing a flexible tank.

I haven’t seen that part , , solid? , , valve like?
The breathable silicone at the local store has 4 or 5 vent holes. They leak when I apply a vacuum, , , as making a more robust headspace eliminator that will hold a vacuum for half a year, , , or sealing a flexible tank.
There are some bungs that have a flap that sit on top of the bung (right) others that have a plunger that can be depressed when you are finished wanting it to be vented (left). I prefer the ones on the left, with better assurance of minimal O2 exposure when you are done with the venting activity. There is a hooded version of the bung for carboys.
386F8598-3E78-4102-AD68-0EB4F4076054.jpeg

I like the breathable bungs that can be turned into a solid bung.
Yeah I heard about that, I'll be racking in another month so we'll see how it goes. I need to repair the bung once I get it out as I tried to pull on the top flap and apparently it's a two peice design (the top flap is not part of the bung), the top flap pulled right out...there is a little mushroom on the bottom that holds the flap to the bung.

There are some bungs that have a flap that sit on top of the bung (right) others that have a plunger that can be depressed when you are finished wanting it to be vented (left). I prefer the ones on the left, with better assurance of minimal O2 exposure when you are done with the venting activity. There is a hooded version of the bung for carboys.
View attachment 54501
Thanks!

I am a member of a Facebook group moderated by Daniel Pambianchi. He just wrote up a detailed scientific experiment he did between the older style bungs and the newer harder bungs. "My informal study looked at free SO2 consumption and oxygen levels at 3-month intervals for the same wine in the same type of carboy but with different bung types. Carboys with the older type of silicone performed as expected, i.e. little free SO2 consumption, low O2 levels."

@cmason1957 Is there a link to the study or do you have to be a member to have access? It seems like there is a need to occasionally "myth bust" a topic of discussion, and Daniel Pambianchi has the resources and instrumentation to do it.

I am a member of a Facebook group moderated by Daniel Pambianchi. He just wrote up a detailed scientific experiment he did between the older style bungs and the newer harder bungs. "My informal study looked at free SO2 consumption and oxygen levels at 3-month intervals for the same wine in the same type of carboy but with different bung types. Carboys with the older type of silicone performed as expected, i.e. little free SO2 consumption, low O2 levels."
How did the newer, vented bungs perform?

Regarding the plunger type silicone bungs, how do you know when to completely seal? I'm asking because I recently racked some fall 2018 Syrah that was still completely full of Co2. Meaning, I'm glad it wasn't sealed and hope it continues to off-gas. It's been under a silicone bung with a flap since October. The process is slower than I would have thought. I'm hoping 1 more vacuum racking prior to bottling will do it.

On another note, if your equipment includes sanitary fittings, you can completely seal with a cap if desired.

@cmason1957 Is there a link to the study or do you have to be a member to have access? It seems like there is a need to occasionally "myth bust" a topic of discussion, and Daniel Pambianchi has the resources and instrumentation to do it.
I tried to make a link and gave up. It is so hard to do from inside Facebook. I believe you have to be a member of the group to see it. I do encourage anyone to join, I love when folks shoot off about something and Daniel gently corrects them with that science thing. Home winemaking is the name of the group.

Which ones are the harder bungs? Do you have pictures comparing the two?

I don't I am almost old school and only have the older Universal type bungs, which I believe are the "better" ones, in that they don't allow as much oxygen exchange and fit better into carboys. The ones that are not as good are similar to the ones pictured above.

I don't I am almost old school and only have the older Universal type bungs, which I believe are the "better" ones, in that they don't allow as much oxygen exchange and fit better into carboys. The ones that are not as good are similar to the ones pictured above.
So I'm assuming the picture I attached is the new style? The old style is the solid rubber ones that are drilled out in the middle?

Attachments

• 31yZGKUPBqL._SX425_.jpg
    31yZGKUPBqL._SX425_.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back