sick

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good advice -

It is all a learning curve -

Don't cry over spilled milk -
do cry over spilled wine - LOL

I remember the first year I made wine.

I made 25 gallons and placed them on a table that my father-in-law had recently constructed. What I did not realize was that he meant it to be just a laundry folding table and not something that would hold a lot of weight.

I placed the wine on the table the day before going to Mexico for a 1 week vacation. When we got back, I went into the house, dropped my bags, and was hit with a really strong wine smell.

When I went to the cellar to check on the wine, my eye were met with horror! The table had collapsed while I was away, and most all of the wine had ran down the dry well.

My wife tried to comfort me, but I just needed to be alone.
OH THE HUMANITY!!!

There was one amazing thing though. One of the five carboys did not shatter. It was laying on its side and was still full. It just needed slight topping up.

Sounds Whiny to me.

I lost 2-4 gal of my wonderful 60 gal batch of Barolo to the garage floor drain last year when I got a phone call.

We always stand and share a moment of silence over spilled wine.

I'm loving this thread, thought I was the only one. I have one hard rule "never walk away from an active syphon" - as long as I stand looking at one it'll never fail. The tubes must be inherently evil because if I do wander off, even for a few seconds, they will find a way to flop all over the place. And of course I always follow my own rule, unless the carboy in only about 1/4 full and my beer is empty.... maybe.... sometimes....
Mike

Sigh, after it was all said and done I ended up with 1 bottle and a pint jar, the worst part is I bragged about how great it was coming along and had 3 bottles promised to people, so now I must decide who to give my 1 bottle to,or if I hide it in my closet and swear it all went down the drain. Only bright side is I kept very good notes on this batch, so hopefully it wont be hard to duplicate.

Well, good thing is you can replicate your wine.

Remember next time, bath first, bottle second, don't mix.

I still think the worst is when you are dinking around and you hear the tell tale snap noise of a glass carboy breaking.

2016 the dooms day clock hit 12! While splash racking....obviously no clip of any kind...I walked away to do whatever and returned to x-amount (a lot) soaking into the carpet. I've steam cleaned probably 10 times and it still looks like a crime scene. Time to upgrade to something beautiful :) There is always a positive!!!

Just "stain the rest of it I dropped a bottle of cab on my newly tiled wine cellar floor. Couldn't get the burgandy color out of the grout, so a toothbrush and another bottle and nobody knows what a klutz I was:sl

Last edited:
Sigh, after it was all said and done I ended up with 1 bottle and a pint jar, the worst part is I bragged about how great it was coming along and had 3 bottles promised to people, so now I must decide who to give my 1 bottle to,or if I hide it in my closet and swear it all went down the drain. Only bright side is I kept very good notes on this batch, so hopefully it wont be hard to duplicate.

If those folks are local why not invite them over and share/drink what is left?

Keep the bottle. Go buy some apple juice and vodka and mix up three bottles of little white lies to give away.

Most people wouldn't know good stuff if they tasted it. The ones who did would never ask you for another bottle after tasting the fake stuff, leaving more for you.

Latest posts

Back