sick

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winehomie

Reaction score
I am sick, I made a bone head mistake last night, I was racking my Afelwen into my bottling bucket, got a nice slow siphon going and got distracted by my 6 yr old so went to run his bath, came back and the hose had jumped out of the bucket and all but about 2 bottles of my awesome apple wine went down the kitchen sink, I am so ticked off. I know better than to trust a siphon hose. All that wine gone because I didn't hook a stupid $.35 clip onto the bucket :ft I need a good smack in the head!!

That sucks. I'm sorry. I imagine most of us have stories of wayward siphon hoses but all mine are from the initial getting it started phase. Don't kick yourself too hard, no one got hurt.

What Julie said.

Also, what helps me cope when something like that happens - and it has many times - is I find a way to blame my spouse or at least make her partly responsible.
smilie.gif
[See, even at 72 years of age I've still got some room for maturing.]

Last edited:
Yeah, blame it on the hose! We all know they've a mind of their own. :sh

Consider yourself smacked in the head. ;-). Actually as a newbie wine maker, I'm loaning that smack to you. I know I'll need it back soon.
Tom

Hey...forgive yourself....but don't forget. Good judgement comes from bad mistakes...as mistakes go, this is minor...no one got hurt!

Last time I walked away from a racking was the day I found out 4 gallons simply will not fit into a 3 gallon carboy....put the floor seems to hold an unlimited quanity of wine.

I think we've all been there. I was racking from my kitchen island into a carboy on the floor. Getting towards the bottom I moved over to the other side of the island (the side the racking cane end was) to tip the carboy to get as much as possible. Proud I didn't waste a drop I walked over to admire my carboy.....to see about a bottle and a half on the floor. I forgot I was racking from a 6 1/2 into a 6. Lesson learned. Move the cane instead of body.

I think there is a saying like...not crying over spilled wine....or something like that.

my syphon hose got trashed when i went to the phone then came back with just shy of 3 gallon of 2 y/o blackberry on my 100% pure cotton mattresses , any body priced a pure cotton mattresses much else getting it supinated in the air and 5 commercial fans on it ,, 1 cheap little clip, i should of burned me instead of the hose,:(

my syphon hose got trashed when i went to the phone then came back with just shy of 3 gallon of 2 y/o blackberry on my 100% pure cotton mattresses , any body priced a pure cotton mattresses much else getting it supinated in the air and 5 commercial fans on it ,, 1 cheap little clip, i should of burned me instead of the hose,:(

OK dawg, you got me curious. You were racking a wine....ON YOUR BED???
Just how did you.....oh you tell the story...in a little more detail. :?

no @drainssurgon , . see since I'm single/free and i have a really big bedroom at that time i had 2 dressers and 2 chest of drawers, and a 6 foot tall vault and a floor cabinet that's was 2feetx8tall, wide, imagine a man cave ecept since i'm single i don't have to put anything but where i liked, oh and the dresser an the foot of me bed a 6 foot flat screen TV, so i had carboys on both chest of drawers bulk aging , and carboys of different fazes of age
my bed room not conting master bath room, is 16x14. not counting,,,,,,,,,, a 3x10 foot his and hers closet, of course i turn 1/2 of that into wine storage, the closet has two doors one at each end so i had a wine room on 3 sides of by bedroom will i did have two carboys one carboy on each end of my big screen but since them days gave or burnt 1 of the spare bedrooms furniture,
the one right next to the water heater moved every thing into my old/new wine room, i did keep 1 dresser since my big screen still sits there and both chest of drawers, now i have emptied the wine/bed room because the water heater, took my 2200 watt heating elements out and replaced with 5500 elements, put in a 3 compartment stainless steel commercial sink with built in drain shelves on each end, i do have i wooden dresser but it's headed to the burning pile because i have a 8 foot long stainless steel commercial prep table but don't give envy, because i would give all the money i made and toys i own and trade it all for 1 good women, yes i have a mans dream back acer has elderberries and soon to have blue honey berries, tons of room i am boss of every thing, but i would trade it all in heartbeat for a slow levying family life, you the men i call trained, i am the one that envies yall. i have as ove this last year stopped picking up women online, now that i'm older sex means nothing with out love and caring to go with it, i have tons of toys, a same lad with registered horses, registered Dexter cattle, chickens fruit trees berry patches, a Kubota and so on, i have everything i want but the one thing i want most of all a good women, trust me you boys with or without money that has wives an/or children are the ones god has blessed, don't get me wrong i love my life but my heart has a huge hole in it because i have n one to share life with, i cool, an i'm happy, but the long posts are hide how lonely feel like, god bless you all, and don't worry you'll never have to feel sorry about DAWG because i do enjoy what i have instead of morning what i don't have never look across the fence at what you think you want, be content with what you have, lord god knows i speak truth.
cheers
DAWG

MAY GOD BLESS US ONE AND ALL.:h

OK dawg, you got me curious. You were racking a wine....ON YOUR BED???
Just how did you.....oh you tell the story...in a little more detail. :?

you are a smart and wise man,
hats off to a true master, lol
::
DAWG

What Julie said.

Also, what helps me cope when something like that happens - and it has many times - is I find a way to blame my spouse or at least make her partly responsible.
smilie.gif
[See, even at 72 years of age I've still got some room for maturing.]

no @drainssurgon , . see since I'm single/free and i have a really big bedroom at that time i had 2 dressers and 2 chest of drawers, and a 6 foot tall vault and a floor cabinet that's was 2feetx8tall, wide, imagine a man cave ecept since i'm single i don't have to put anything but where i liked, oh and the dresser an the foot of me bed a 6 foot flat screen TV, so i had carboys on both chest of drawers bulk aging , and carboys of different fazes of age
my bed room not conting master bath room, is 16x14. not counting,,,,,,,,,, a 3x10 foot his and hers closet, of course i turn 1/2 of that into wine storage, the closet has two doors one at each end so i had a wine room on 3 sides of by bedroom will i did have two carboys one carboy on each end of my big screen but since them days gave or burnt 1 of the spare bedrooms furniture,
the one right next to the water heater moved every thing into my old/new wine room, i did keep 1 dresser since my big screen still sits there and both chest of drawers, now i have emptied the wine/bed room because the water heater, took my 2200 watt heating elements out and replaced with 5500 elements, put in a 3 compartment stainless steel commercial sink with built in drain shelves on each end, i do have i wooden dresser but it's headed to the burning pile because i have a 8 foot long stainless steel commercial prep table but don't give envy, because i would give all the money i made and toys i own and trade it all for 1 good women, yes i have a mans dream back acer has elderberries and soon to have blue honey berries, tons of room i am boss of every thing, but i would trade it all in heartbeat for a slow levying family life, you the men i call trained, i am the one that envies yall. i have as ove this last year stopped picking up women online, now that i'm older sex means nothing with out love and caring to go with it, i have tons of toys, a same lad with registered horses, registered Dexter cattle, chickens fruit trees berry patches, a Kubota and so on, i have everything i want but the one thing i want most of all a good women, trust me you boys with or without money that has wives an/or children are the ones god has blessed, don't get me wrong i love my life but my heart has a huge hole in it because i have n one to share life with, i cool, an i'm happy, but the long posts are hide how lonely feel like, god bless you all, and don't worry you'll never have to feel sorry about DAWG because i do enjoy what i have instead of morning what i don't have never look across the fence at what you think you want, be content with what you have, lord god knows i speak truth.
cheers
DAWG

MAY GOD BLESS US ONE AND ALL.:h

Yes, I am blessed with family. But you are the lucky one....with a wine scented mattress! :b

My farm house mudroom has a long counter and every so often I rack there. The mudroom has carpet. Yes, we put carpet in - not a great choice thinking about it now but at the time with 4 kids it was wicked cheap and easy to clean - with care it suffered no harm from wine making for several years. 2016 the dooms day clock hit 12! While splash racking....obviously no clip of any kind...I walked away to do whatever and returned to x-amount (a lot) soaking into the carpet. I've steam cleaned probably 10 times and it still looks like a crime scene. Time to upgrade to something beautiful :) There is always a positive!!!

Latest posts

Back