Shrinking bottle capsules

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two ways to deal with your issue - a) Buy a capsule holder (cheap); or b) just hold the lower part of the capsule until the upper part is submerged and shrinks (what I do).
What does a capsule holder look like?

My capsules are very loose when placed and would not allow turning upside down to put in boiling water.
I get it that my volume is real small but these things cost too much for whats there. I only use them on wine I gift to others. I've never had stored wine corks leak or push out so these are mostly esthetic for me.

Pick yourself up 1 of these to hold the bottle when turning it upside down. Works perfectly everytime!

https://labelpeelers.com/equipment/...zShPkvS2GYru_iZN9RLWiz2lhzoKfm8xoCI2AQAvD_BwE

Two ways to deal with your issue - a) Buy a capsule holder (cheap); or b) just hold the lower part of the capsule until the upper part is submerged and shrinks (what I do).

I just bought a capsule holder today after following this thread. When I bottle the wine I currently have in primary in a month to six weeks hence, I plan to try dipping the capsule covered bottles in boiling water.

My current capsule shrinking practice calls for the use of a heat gun. While the results are acceptable, the capsule shrinkage does not come out entirely uniform.

I just bought a capsule holder today after following this thread. When I bottle the wine I currently have in primary in a month to six weeks hence, I plan to try dipping the capsule covered bottles in boiling water.

My current capsule shrinking practice calls for the use of a heat gun. While the results are acceptable, the capsule shrinkage does not come out entirely uniform.

A heat gun can generate a lot of heat so if you don't have a temp control on it you need to hold it further away. Just got a heat gun and learned that quickly. TOO MUCH heat will lead to exactly what you describe.

A heat gun can generate a lot of heat so if you don't have a temp control on it you need to hold it further away. Just got a heat gun and learned that quickly. TOO MUCH heat will lead to exactly what you describe.
I had the same issue in the beginning with the heatgun, but with time and patience, I learned and now this is my favorite method to shrink bottle capsules.

I just capped 4 dozen bottles using near boiling water on my stove. “Near boiling” because water that is rapidly boiling shrinks the caps too much and too quickly. I have thought many times of buying a bottle cap shrinker, but feel the water/stove method works well. That said, I don’t feel that compelled to spend $200 on a bottle cap shrinker.

G B I understand especially since all it consists of is a coiled heating element, preset themostat, switch, stand, and shield. For less than $50.00 you can get a variable temp heatgun that can be used for other things. Made my own holder and after about 10 bottles worked out the correct temp setting.

I use a heat gun also. I wear a heavy glove on the hand holding the capsules. Hold the gun over the top until it shrinks enough to stay in place, then move the gun to a horizontal position and rotate the bottle a full turn. No wrinkles, looks great.

Latest posts

Back