Shrinking bottle capsules

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kantuckid

Reaction score
I tried a hair dryer and it doesn't put out enough heat to shrink the plastic top over my corks. After quite a slow wait it distorted it some but not fully shrunk.
I have a Wagner heat gun in my shop which has low/high settings which are rated @ 750 & 1,000 degrees, might just be hot enough to bust a bottle perhaps? Not what I want, of course.
Low setting easily shrinks tubing on wiring or melts paint, etc..
Will the heat gun cause a problem used for plastic capsule shrinking? Ideas?

FWIW, my heat guns on that same page.
I'll do w/o as I don't want to buy more stuff, mostly asking about use of the heat gun I already have?
BTW, does a heat gun light charcoal OK?

Start directly over top of the bottle, about 6" away. Once the top shrinks, just roll the heat gun around to get the bottom tight.

Too much heat from a heat gun will distort the capsules so it pays to try different heat settings (If available) or different distances. Still prefer a heat gun over "Purpose Designed" devices.

If you are using boiling water on an electric stove you are cranking a lot of watts on the meter and a lot of heat into the room and that heat keeps cranking even after you shut off the burner.
I've been using the steam from a kettle and that's worked fine except for the start up wait and then the hot burner (Electric) that continues to heat the room long after you've shut off the burner.

I use boiling water - gas stove. Works great and gives the bottles a bit of a steam clean before I put the labels on.

At least when you shut the gas off the heat stops except from the kettle and that can be poured out or used for something else. Electric stoves.... that hot surface light stays on a long long time.

Heat gun for me. On low, starting at a distance from the top and working downward. I close the distance as necessary and massage any wrinkles as I go. I haven't had any problems with this except for inpatients.
But...good things come to those who wait.

I was a heat gun topper. Then mine burned out in the middle of a 300 bottle bottling session. I followed @4Scores lead with a small pot of boiling water on a stand-alone electric burner. I think it gives a better end result.

I have a heat gun and it is more convenient to use on small batches, but I still use the tea kettle when I’m not in a hurry.

My capsules are very loose when placed and would not allow turning upside down to put in boiling water.
I get it that my volume is real small but these things cost too much for whats there. I only use them on wine I gift to others. I've never had stored wine corks leak or push out so these are mostly esthetic for me.

My capsules are very loose when placed and would not allow turning upside down to put in boiling water.
I get it that my volume is real small but these things cost too much for whats there. I only use them on wine I gift to others. I've never had stored wine corks leak or push out so these are mostly esthetic for me.

Two ways to deal with your issue - a) Buy a capsule holder (cheap); or b) just hold the lower part of the capsule until the upper part is submerged and shrinks (what I do).

Latest posts

Back