Cellar Craft Showcase Kit Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made the Red Mountain a few times.. love it!

Two bottles were given to me by a customer of mine that had let it age for 1 year... I had one about a year ago and it was fantastic. After that bottle, I made a kit for myself. Those bottles only got to age about 4 months before I started drinking them. Very nice - but definitely this wine shines after about 6 months of aging. That second bottle that was given to me will be 2 yrs old this summer... looking forward to that one!

I also did the Chateau du Pays - another positive review for that one. Very smooth...

CC Barbera - I started that kit back in Aug 2013. It was bottled in Oct 2013. At first I did not enjoy that kit (way too young)... but now it is starting to really come together.

The CC Showcase kits all seem to need a good 6 months on average before I would say they are really enjoyable.

I agree that as far as a skins kit goes, CC is ahead of the rest. Really glad that Vineco picked them up because when they were owned by Nestle, the brand looked like it was going to disappear.

Well it sounds like Red Mountain is the next kit I'll be making! Far and away the most highly recommended kit, even considering kits other than CC.

Cheers,

Rob

I started two Rosso Fortissimo kits on Sunday. Interesting that one started to ferment like crazy last night, and the other one is just starting to kick in.. Looking forward to trying this wine!

I started two Rosso Fortissimo kits on Sunday. Interesting that one started to ferment like crazy last night, and the other one is just starting to kick in.. Looking forward to trying this wine!

Rosso Fortissimo is a favorite at my house - mine is very good and it is only seven months old. Start looking for a good place to hide some...

We will have a blind taste test sometime soon of the Rosso Fortissimo versus the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan. Should be interesting.

Rosso Fortissimo has been our favorite in this line, Red Mountain cab second. Zin third.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I know its still early... only Day 3 in the primary. Both Rosso Fortissimo were started on Sunday afternoon. One kit is fermenting like crazy - to the point where there is splatter marks everywhere (lid, wall, and the primary next to it) from wine bubbles coming out of the air lock. The other kit is not fermenting like that - but it is fermenting. I can hear the wine bubbles. The bucket lid is clean (except for the splashing from the kit next to it)... I am stirring every day... the bag of skins is now floating on top... and when I stir it is clear there is fermenting going on.

Both kits were purchased within 1 month of each other. I am just surprised that there is such a difference in the activity of the kits. I made them side-by-side so my process and amounts of water, etc were identical or nearly identical.. Have you guys seen big differences in the primary fermenting stage of a kit like this?

I actually like the CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot better than the Red Mountain Cab. Yep, there I said it. LOL

I have made both kits multiple times and that Cab/Merlot always wins somehow. Both are really good. Make sure to give both kits a try is all I am saying! :try

I actually like the CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot better than the Red Mountain Cab. Yep, there I said it. LOL

I have made both kits multiple times and that Cab/Merlot always wins somehow. Both are really good. Make sure to give both kits a try is all I am saying! :try

Forgot to add that Cab/Merlot is ~ $22 cheaper to boot!

If you can find it! I had a hard time, but found it at winemakingsuperstore.com in January. (Haven't made it yet.) They are now sold out. EC Krauss has it, but they have it priced insanely high.

Here is my two cents,

Roso Fortussimo is excellent, fruit forward, nice mouthfeel and ages well. Always a go-to for me.

Yakima Shiraz is discontinued but you can still fine it around the web. This is hands down my fave. Very full, a bit spicy and long sexy legs! Getcha one soon.

The Amarone (I have only done once and is still young) is very popular and I have very high hopes for. I have opened one at 18 months and was very excited. Only do Amarone if you can hang for two years and more.

The Red Mt Trio mentioned above was a limited, I doubt if it can still be found but just got me a Gold in Missouri.

This years Limiteds are still available (Fine Vine Wines always orders extras) I ordered Tempranilla Granacha, Shiraz Grenache, California Grand Red. The Grand Red is a repeat from previous years and has great reviews on other threads.

In all honestly I have been extremely pleased with every Cellar Craft kit that I have done both prior to and since their takeover by Vineco. In the case of CC I say what's your favorite wine variety - that's what I would start with from CC.

I absolutely love that Red Mountain Trio. Congratulations on the Gold, Tony. The Roso Fortissimo is one of the few I have done twice. I just bottled my second batch of Red Mountain Cab also. What a difference a 3 month ride in barrel did for this one over the first batch. Much, much better. The early results on the CC Amarone is fantastic as well
Hey Tony, how much tweaking did you do on the Yakima Syrah (barrel time, tannins etc.) ? I bought the Syrah 6 months ago and it is next up. I also have the Old Vine Zin from CC I haven't started yet. It has gotten very good reviews on this forum. As you can tell, I really like the Cellar Craft Showcase kits. I have done more Winexpert kits only because my local supplier carries them. I like him and want to support local business also.

Hey Tony, how much tweaking did you do on the Yakima Syrah (barrel time, tannins etc.) ?

My first YS I added one American medium oak spiral in early aging, then two months in a fairly new barrel (at the time). I also added 4oz glycerin, 1/2tsp Tan Cor Grand Cru tannin and 4 oz simple syrup. Blended with one bottle of commercial Viogier.

Batch two and three are still aging. They will get similar treatment but likely no or less syrup and will each get 3 months in barrel.

My first YS I added one American medium oak spiral in early aging, then two months in a fairly new barrel (at the time). I also added 4oz glycerin, 1/2tsp Tan Cor Grand Cru tannin and 4 oz simple syrup. Blended with one bottle of commercial Viogier.

Batch two and three are still aging. They will get similar treatment but likely no or less syrup and will each get 3 months in barrel.

Tony, do you add potassium sorbate to yours or filter Out the yeasties or simply have no problem with refermentation? Thanks!

Tony, do you add potassium sorbate to yours or filter Out the yeasties or simply have no problem with refermentation? Thanks!

Always sorbate if I back sweeten.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Back