Show Us Your Pets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Lucas -- he's not a pet. He's a service dog.

My d-in-l is a volunteer trainer for Valor, which provides service dogs to veterans and first responders with PTSD. In addition to the typical service dog training, these dogs are trained to recognize the physical signs of PTSD (hand wringing, etc.), which the dog interrupts by seeking attention, disrupting negative cycles. The dogs provide a loyal companion who is a great listener, and can mitigate physical problems (pick up and retrieve items, etc.).

Lucas.jpg

My d-in-l just surrendered her first trainee, Walker, who will receive further training and then be given to a person with needs. I had the opportunity to meet Walker on several occasions (they live a long distance away, so we don't see each other as much as we'd like), and she is a wonderful dog. In the house she seemed like a typical dog, although she stayed focused on my d-in-l. However, once her vest is on, she is all business. Trained service dogs don't react to other animals or people, and stay focused on their person.

Note -- if you see a service dog in public, don't address the dog or try to pet it. The dog is working and should stay focused on their person.

I have similar rules...with similar results.

I've come to the conclusion that my rules -
1 - Are only valid if I'm in the same room AND I'm looking at them.
2 - Are invalid because I don't have jurisdiction.
Yaaa, dogs play at your heart stings. Cats just refuse to acknowledge your authority.

Just open the food tins, house BOY! I'll be ready for my lap in 20.

Is it 'cause It's a huge file? Took a long time for me to view it. It did the old dial up 1/4 inch at a time, thing.
Oh, man, I remember being on top o' the world when I upgraded to a 28.8k baud modem. Those were the days!

@vinny and @winemaker81 it's not file size. Looks like there's a 10 Mb limit on photos and all of mine have been between 1.0Mb and 9.0 Mb. The photo in question was 2.7 Mb.

What's unfortunate is that it's not that important but it's going to bug the crap out of me until I find out! 😆

@vinny and @winemaker81 it's not file size. Looks like there's a 10 Mb limit on photos and all of mine have been between 1.0Mb and 9.0 Mb. The photo in question was 2.7 Mb.
I shrink the files before posting as it improves site performance -- there's less to download, render, and display. [Keep in mind I'm an IT guy so stuff like this is an every day work concern.]

For my web site I resize photos, then use TinyPNG to shrink all photos even smaller. For me, it saves hassles in site backups, as there's less to backup. I use shared hosting (meaning there are many web sites on the server my sites are on), and sometimes the server bogs down, which is a PITA for me. The other choices is to spend a lot more for a dedicated server, but it's not worth the higher cost for what is really just hobby stuff.

Oh, man, I remember being on top o' the world when I upgraded to a 28.8k baud modem. Those were the days!

What's unfortunate is that it's not that important but it's going to bug the crap out of me until I find out! 😆
I'd just edit the post and upload again.

I shrink the files before posting as it improves site performance -- there's less to download, render, and display. [Keep in mind I'm an IT guy so stuff like this is an every day work concern.]

For my web site I resize photos, then use TinyPNG to shrink all photos even smaller. For me, it saves hassles in site backups, as there's less to backup. I use shared hosting (meaning there are many web sites on the server my sites are on), and sometimes the server bogs down, which is a PITA for me. The other choices is to spend a lot more for a dedicated server, but it's not worth the higher cost for what is really just hobby stuff.
I certainly understand size concerns and have dealt with them in the past. My phone produces pictures around 2 Mb. My camera will produce photos in excess of 20 Mb - far too large for most web use. I use Adobe Lightroom to edit and I can specify format and file size when saving.

Latest posts

Back