Show Us Your Pets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is a Golden doodle, but an odd one. Daddy was a Golden doodle, momma was a Creme Golden Retriever. Owners thought mom wasn't ready to go into heart, boy were they wrong. So she is 3/4 Golden 1/4 poodle. We get a little bit of shedding, but not much, and her cost was much less than most folks spend on them. But she is all Goofy, like all of them.

PXL_20221014_145135141.jpg

Does she shed like a golden? LOL

She is a Golden doodle, but an odd one. Daddy was a Golden doodle, momma was a Creme Golden Retriever. Owners thought mom wasn't ready to go into heart, boy were they wrong. So she is 3/4 Golden 1/4 poodle. We get a little bit of shedding, but not much, and her cost was much less than most folks spend on them. But she is all Goofy, like all of them.

View attachment 96681

Does she shed like a golden? LOL

I had three Goldens previously. I think in the three years we have had Dakota we might have gotten the amount of golden fluff we might have gotten in one week with a Golden. Lesser fluff was a requirement SWMBO put on me to get another dog.
She got her Christmas present today and is carrying it around. Doesn't tear them up.

PXL_20221223_220330683.jpg

When Lucy was about 5 weeks old something happened and there was no movement in her hindquarter, legs or tail. She would drag herself across the floor and my eyes watered every time I saw her. Vet said no hope, put her to sleep. She was peeing and pooping, that worked, so I decided to delay my decision. She was so sweet.

lucy 1.jpg

I spoiled her. If her life was going to be short she would be pampered.
It was a lot of work, almost daily back half baths.
After 4 weeks her tail twitched. After 5 weeks she spread her toes and another two weeks later she stretched her legs. Four months after the vet visit she was standing, five months and she was walking gingerly and falling over.
She's almost two years old now, walks with a slight wobble but seems normal. She is one of my sweetest and loving cats. And I'm grateful every day that I didn't listen to the expert.

lucy 2.jpg

I was watching one of the Vet shows (probably Dr. Pol) on Animal Planet or Discovery recently and they had a puppy with about the same diagnoses. They called it "Swimmer Puppy", the attending vet said usually these dogs would be put down. She built a splint system for the dog to hold the legs together and about 4 months later, the dog was quite fine. I'm sure the owners spent much time taking care of the dog, much like you did.

Animals that get treated this way by humans are among the most loving pets ever.

I was watching one of the Vet shows (probably Dr. Pol) on Animal Planet or Discovery recently and they had a puppy with about the same diagnoses. They called it "Swimmer Puppy", the attending vet said usually these dogs would be put down. She built a splint system for the dog to hold the legs together and about 4 months later, the dog was quite fine. I'm sure the owners spent much time taking care of the dog, much like you did.

Animals that get treated this way by humans are among the most loving pets ever.
Truth be told, I think I decided against putting her to sleep within a day or two of the vet visit. I was preparing to have a handicapped cat and I was surprised how many models of "wheelchairs" are available for cats and dogs. Had a model picked out for when she was big enough. But when I saw her move that tail it was like winning the lottery and I knew there was hope.
A lot of sh*t happens in our lives but every once in a while there's something wonderful.

Truth be told, I think I decided against putting her to sleep within a day or two of the vet visit. I was preparing to have a handicapped cat and I was surprised how many models of "wheelchairs" are available for cats and dogs. Had a model picked out for when she was big enough. But when I saw her move that tail it was like winning the lottery and I knew there was hope.
A lot of sh*t happens in our lives but every once in a while there's something wonderful.
Do you keep the amount of cats you have as close to your chest as the different wines you have made?

Our fur baby. Bet you're not surprised
View attachment 96576
Litter box trained yet? Our place is named Bear Paw Vineyard because the first time I brought my wife here (I had already bought the first 26 acres), it was winter and there was ice on the creeks with a light snow cover. And right up the second creek were bear tracks. They are not commonly seen in these parts and are usually only captured on a game cam, like this one..

bear.JPG

Our place is named Bear Paw Vineyard because the first time I brought my wife here (I had already bought the first 26 acres), it was winter and there was ice on the creeks with a light snow cover. And right up the second creek were bear tracks. They are not commonly seen in these parts and are usually only captured on a game cam, like this one..
I grew up in bear country, but never saw one during the day. I was a waiter in an Italian restaurant while in college -- one night a bear knocked over the grease barrel (waste from kitchen) and was eating it. The entire restaurant emptied out to watch the bear. One of the cooks was going to drive the bear away, but the owner stopped him. "The more he eats, the less we have to clean up."

Pragmatism at its finest!

Merlin was the first outdoor cat to come in the house.
I first met him 14 years ago. He was about 5 weeks old, mid-way up the screen door in the middle of the night, meowing nonstop as if he were saying, "I'm home, let me in!"
So funny, so sweet, one of my favorites.
Being all black taking a good photo was always a challenge.
He passed away in my arms last year.

DSC_0504 222-merlin.jpg

Merlin was the first outdoor cat to come in the house.
I first met him 14 years ago. He was about 5 weeks old, mid-way up the screen door in the middle of the night, meowing nonstop as if he were saying, "I'm home, let me in!"
So funny, so sweet, one of my favorites.
Being all black taking a good photo was always a challenge.
He passed away in my arms last year.

View attachment 97474

I first met my Bodhi outside when he was about 4 weeks old. He was very unusual for an outdoor kitten because instead of running away he climbed up my leg. It didn't take long for him to be in the house. Very loving and affectionate. He followed me everywhere and was on my lap within a fraction of a second of sitting down. Possibly my favorite. He's also my avatar.
I lost him last year to illness at four years of age.

View attachment DSC_1035-Edit-2 bigger canvas.jpg

Last edited:
I first met my Bodhi outside when he was about 4 weeks old. He was very unusual for an outdoor kitten because instead of running away he climbed up my leg. It didn't take long for him to be in the house. Very loving and affectionate. He followed me everywhere and was on my lap within a fraction of a second of sitting down. Possibly my favorite. He's also my avatar.
I lost him last year to illness at four years of age.

View attachment 97811

Sorry for your loss. The best ones just never live long enough.

Latest posts

Back