Shout Out to Maryland Homebrew

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I picked up my C/D this morning and am very happy. I dealt with these folks over email and phone to order - great to work with and very flexible. When I got there, I was surprised to find a pretty large operation with tons of stuff. They also rent crushers, presses, etc. They are located a little south of Baltimore, in Columbia. If you have a need and are nearby, I recommend them.

I picked up my C/D this morning and am very happy. I dealt with these folks over email and phone to order - great to work with and very flexible. When I got there, I was surprised to find a pretty large operation with tons of stuff. They also rent crushers, presses, etc. They are located a little south of Baltimore, in Columbia. If you have a need and are nearby, I recommend them.
I was wondering if that was the place you were referring to in the other post. Yes, very large operation there. They moved from a smaller store about 5 years ago. Just about any beer, wine, and cheese making equipment you can think of. They have a room where you can measure out grains for brewing and grind them yourself. Great hop and yeast selection too. They also do classes.

I find myself going shopping in Frederick more often though. Columbia is a cluster most of the time. The brew shop is more limited there and is a little further north of town than most other shopping places, but they generally have what I need and they've done some special orders for me as well.

That's my LHBS. They're good folks with a good supply of equipment.

I thought it might be. :h

Do you know anything about the Tin Lizzie Winemaking 'club'. It was mentioned to me that they get really good grapes, but from my brief research it looks like a "you help us make wine for you" operation.

Wish I had a LHBS nearby. One of the things I do miss since moving from CT to North Central, PA.

I was wondering if that was the place you were referring to in the other post. Yes, very large operation there. They moved from a smaller store about 5 years ago. Just about any beer, wine, and cheese making equipment you can think of. They have a room where you can measure out grains for brewing and grind them yourself. Great hop and yeast selection too. They also do classes.

I find myself going shopping in Frederick more often though. Columbia is a cluster most of the time. The brew shop is more limited there and is a little further north of town than most other shopping places, but they generally have what I need and they've done some special orders for me as well.

Is the Frederick store also MDHB?

Wish I had a LHBS nearby. One of the things I do miss since moving from CT to North Central, PA.

On-line is nice for some things, but nothing beats being able to run to the store and get it right now. I hope something opens up for you soon. I'm spoiled, I have Maryland Home Brew 15 minutes from home and Flying Barrel in Frederick, MD 7 minutes away from work.

I thought it might be. :h

Do you know anything about the Tin Lizzie Winemaking 'club'. It was mentioned to me that they get really good grapes, but from my brief research it looks like a "you help us make wine for you" operation.

Jim, I haven't heard about that. Thanks for lead, I may look into it.

On a somewhat related note, I'm really surprised there isn't one in the Bethesda/Rockville/Gaithersburg/Germantown corridor. Definitely seems like there would be a market there. I wonder if Montgomery County has any rules/restrictions preventing it or making it difficult to start/operate one.

Back