Should you skim foam off wine before racking from primary to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaVino

Junior
Reaction score
I’m making muscadine wine with Champaign yeast. Currently on day 5 of primary having removed the pomace after 3 days. There is a pretty think foam on top - i’m Planning on racking to a carboy on day 7 (or 1.03 S.G.).

I can’t find much clarity as to whether removing the foam is necessary or if it has any negative impact.

Any suggestions?

I have not since I removed the grapes/mash bags 2 days ago. Should I keep stirring after that is removed?

Hmm, I'm not sure. That was three days of stirring but it appears to have a cap on it. I'm thinking the cap needs to be pushed down so the yeast can still get oxygen...if it is still actively fermenting. The must is getting close to the age that you don't want to introduce oxygen if there is minimal to no Co2 being produced. Hopefully one of the experienced guys/gals will chime in here. I think at the least I would push the cap down into the must...but that is my novice thought. Wish I could be more help.

Latest posts

Back