Cellar Craft Should I try a cellar craft? Which one?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting two WE kits; Australian Cab, & Australian Shiraz. My next two I wanted to try are the Stags Leap Merlot and the Old Vine Zinfandel. These are both premium kits, dry reds, obviuolsy, but I am telling you this so you will know what I think I'm going to like. Someone on another forum suggested I move to some CC kits.

So, any suggestions on a really good premium kit?

The 2 WE kits you want to do..I would DO !
Both are great kits.

The CC Old Vine Zin is awesome. I Have to admit Im not a big fan of Winexpert kits but the Stags Leap is a very good wine and 1 not to be dismissed. Id do one of each. The RJS Ceallr Clasic Winery Series Old Vine Zin is also an excellent kit as thats what I stock in my cellar.

I just picked up this one from George ... He highly recommended this one ...

Washington Merlot - with "Crushed Grape Pack"

This Yakima Valley Merlot is big and full with up-front waves of raspberry, blackberry and plum. Subtle notes of cedar and mocha follow the fruit

It's still in the box, I will start it this weekend

Allen:

It depends what wine YOU like. I am finding that I really like Washington Merlots. Did a special edition from Vineco about 5 years that we loved. Shoulda got the second kit when I had the chance. A year ago we picked up the limited edition Hightail Wash Merlot from Spagnols. Had the first bottle a couple of weeks ago. I wish I'd got a second box of that one.

The Cellar Craft Wash Merlot and Grand Cru Wash Merlot are both on my 'wanna do' list.

BTW no Hightail Wash Merlot this year, so I bought the California Syrah. Should be starting it next week.

Steve

I have only made 2 Cellar Craft kits but both were probably the best kit wines I ever made. The Rosso Fortissimo and Amarone with grape pack are absolutely fantastic kits. I believe they have even improved them with bigger grape packs since I made them in early 2005.

I just picked up this one from George ... He highly recommended this one ...

Washington Merlot - with "Crushed Grape Pack"

This Yakima Valley Merlot is big and full with up-front waves of raspberry, blackberry and plum. Subtle notes of cedar and mocha follow the fruit

It's still in the box, I will start it this weekend

I did this kit. its bulk aging right now.

Cellar Craft Washington Merlot - you will not regret. I've pretty much defaulted to this for Merlot and I've made three other brand Merlot's over the years and this is the best. My wife is the determining factor as I will drink most anything but she is fussy about her wine and this is her go to.

I am just about done with anything other than Cellar Craft Showcase kits. They are far superior IMHO.

Yeah, you really can't go wrong with a Cellar Craft Showcase kit. They're awesome. I just bottled a Red Mtn. Cab and it's the best kit I've ever made.

CC kits

I have a CC Red mnt cab bulk aging right now. I had some issues that led me to feel it was a bit watery (my fault not kits) after primary but now that the oak has settled in and the wine has rounded out a bit it is starting to taste like it could become a great wine.
On the white side I have CC Reisling/Gewurzt blend kit in secondary right now and it is absolutely amazing and I am not a typical huge fan of white wine. I have yet to even add the "essence pack" to this thing and it is great. (I would recommend fermenting this at as low of a temp as possible and still keep it going..I did this at about 61 degrees, it took 2 weeks in primary but it really has great fruit flavor) It is at 10.5% ETOH now and you would hardly know it has alcohol in it.

I'm sorry I don't understand - does someone other than CC make wine kits??

Yeah the room was at 61 degrees of course the wine temp while fermenting ran slightly above that. I did add some extra yeast nutrient (even though it is a kit) to help out and I started my fermentation upstairs at 70-72 degrees for almost 2 days then brought it down to the basement once it was "going". My SG after primary was 0.998 I believe and that took about 2 weeks. It is in secondary now, I think it is mostly wrapped up also the last SG I took was now 2 days ago and it was right at 0.996-7. I would like to get it to 0.996 or a touch lower if I could before I stablize but I am not sure it will get there (began at 1.084; I believe. My notes are not with me). Probably would not hurt to bring this guy back upstairs for 2 days just to see what I can squeeze out of it; I just really dont want to move it at this point.
Has anyone ever tried using those Clini-test strips to test for ANY residual sugar (they are the things diabetics used before the new good meters came out)..I read about this is an old wine making book.

I am finding that I really like Washington Merlots. Did a special edition from Vineco about 5 years that we loved. Shoulda got the second kit when I had the chance. A year ago we picked up the limited edition Hightail Wash Merlot from Spagnols. Had the first bottle a couple of weeks ago. The Rosso Fortissimo and Amarone with grape pack are absolutely fantastic kits. I believe they have even improved them with bigger grape packs since I made them in early 2005.

Latest posts

Back