Should I throw this bottle out?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoneyGuy

Reaction score
I have a wine bottle I want to reuse but it has a bit of dried wine inside. I can't get at it with a brush and soaking hasn't dislodged it. Do I have to throw the bottle out or will sanitizing make it safe to use for wine?

Try soaking in some oxyclean and then scrubbing it.

If that doesn't work - IMO - i would pitch it then.

My first choice is throw it out. Second choice is soak in PBW or oxyclean and see if the dissolves it, then sanitize. Do not use without throughly cleaning it first.

You know after thinking about it - for the $$ you will spend on the oxy clean and the time taking to soak it and scrub it - it would just throw it out and go buy a bottle of wine.

Drink it - now you have a usable bottle :h

Yes, another option is I could fill it with wine and make it the first bottle we drink.

Yes, another option is I could fill it with wine and make it the first bottle we drink.

Yes that is an option, lets look at it;

food poison, trip to ER , days of missed work, times number of people drinking from the bottle, and labor of cleaning that bottle. cost = $$$$$

cost of new bottle, $1.00

Its your choice.

If you soak the bottle too long in oxyclean, it can create a film that is also hard to get out.

Use that bottle for target practice!

I take a bit of rice (dry) and hot water. Shake it round and round till scrubbed off. Sand works too if you got it handy.

Yes that is an option, lets look at it;

food poison, trip to ER , days of missed work, times number of people drinking from the bottle, and labor of cleaning that bottle. cost = $$$$$

cost of new bottle, $1.00

Its your choice.

Seriously. Food poisoning from a wee bit of dried wine?

Try the rice and HOT water trick. also you can try soaking it in a weak bleach solution overnight, and rinsing very well before using.

Another way kinda like the rice thing. Put some ice in the bottle then add salt. Whirl it around for a while. Works on carboys too, but you need some muscle to wrestle them around.

I agree with all of these suggestions.

After trying everything, if the bottle is still not clean, toss it into the recycle bin.

johnT.

Another way kinda like the rice thing. Put some ice in the bottle then add salt. Whirl it around for a while. Works on carboys too, but you need some muscle to wrestle them around.

This works great and just water & salt works also if it's not to stuck on . In the carboys I use cleaner and salt .

Latest posts

Back