Should i stop the fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on the same page as you, like sweeter wines. However I haven’t found a good way to do it.
* fermentations seem to double speed for every 10C, ex at 85F I have had 3 days, this will however stop at the high temp limit of the yeast where it dies, , , now that said you can stop a fermentor by raising the temp to where the yeast dies.
* a business will chill and add metabisulphite and filter at 0.5 micron.
* as others have said sorbate doesn’t kill yeast.
Till we come up with a simple home trick I wait, and after 10 months backsweeten.
Thank you

Have one bubble about every 20 to 30 seconds. So I think it is still fermenting.
No, I think you just have the wine off - gassing CO2. Airlock activity has little to do with whether the fermentation is still active. Use the hydrometer, I bet you are down at or below 1.000 specific gravity. Rack off the lees to a clean carboy, and wait.
Read through the posts here, particularly the beginning winemaker and general forums, they are very instructive when starting your first wines.

No, I think you just have the wine off - gassing CO2. Airlock activity has little to do with whether the fermentation is still active. Use the hydrometer, I bet you are down at or below 1.000 specific gravity. Rack off the lees to a clean carboy, and wait.
Read through the posts here, particularly the beginning winemaker and general forums, they are very instructive when starting your first wines.
Should I put the airlock back on the jar after racking and then wait how long?

Should I put the airlock back on the jar after racking and then wait how long?
Oxygen is your wine’s enemy, always keep an airlock on!
. . . The general rule is “rack every three months” , , , however anything I have that is a year old in a jug has a solid bung and I try not to overdo racking just because a rule general rule of 3 months was given. Get it off the lees then you are safe to wait.

Oxygen is your wine’s enemy, always keep an airlock on!
. . . The general rule is “rack every three months” , , , however anything I have that is a year old in a jug has a solid bung and I try not to overdo racking just because a rule general rule of 3 months was given. Get it off the lees then you are safe to wait.
Ok thanks

I do have the tiny bubbles but I was referring to the airlock. Have one bubble about every 20 to 30 seconds. So I think it is still fermenting. Just didnt know if I should go ahead and kill the yeast or let it keep going for a while longer.

Again (within reason) you don't really have a way to kill the yeast. You really do not have a choice besides letting the fermentation come to its natural conclusion.

Back