Should i stop the fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoyceML

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, just joined and need to ask a question. My wine has been fermenting for 6 wks and it is still sweet and is still bubbling. I like sweet wine but it doesnt have the alcohol taste that my first batch did. Should I let it keep going or would it be ok to stop it.

Welcome to WMT! That's a fairly long time, what kind of wine is it, what yeast did you use what is your temperature?
Its mucadine, my second batch. Recipe called for 6 wks. Used regular dry yeast the first time. Used wine yeast on this batch.

Not sure how to stop a fermentation, it is like a freight train. Let it finish, sorbate and backsweeten if so desired.
I have potassium sorbate to stop it. A lady that owns a wine shop sold it to me. I used it and camden tablets on the first batch.

I have potassium sorbate to stop it. A lady that owns a wine shop sold it to me. I used it and camden tablets on the first batch.
Potassium sorbate will not stop fermentation, but will stop the yeast from reproducing. The proper protocol is to let the wine finish fermentation, add sorbate and then backsweeten.

Potassium sorbate will not stop fermentation, but will stop the yeast from reproducing. The proper protocol is to let the wine finish fermentation, add sorbate and then backsweeten.
Ok sounds good. The lady that sold me the potassium sorbate said it would stop it she may have meant the yeast. Thanks for the reply. This is only my second batch so I'm eager to learn. I was worried that if I let it go too long it wouldn't taste good. My first batch turned out so good.

As long as the fermentation is ongoing (specific gravity continues to drop) and there are no off smells, all is good. It is only when the SG stops dropping or you have off smells that you need to take remedial actions.

As long as the fermentation is ongoing (specific gravity continues to drop) and there are no off smells, all is good. It is only when the SG stops dropping or you have off smells that you need to take remedial actions.
Ok thank you. I havent used the hydrometer that I bought, so I don't know any of the readings. Haven't figured out quite how to use it. Didn't have it on my first batch.

JoyceML ... You will need to expand on what you mean by bubbling for this thread to go anywhere ... are you talking little tiny surface bubbles on the surface of the must ( fluid ) or bubbling in the airlock ..

As long as there a a few active yeast cells you will have small surface bubbles, but that is not active fermentation .. your six week period with no fermentation results would indicate your gave a yeast colony problem ..

Then it becomes a question of your process , and a lot more information will be needed to provide assistance..

Ok thank you. I havent used the hydrometer that I bought, so I don't know any of the readings. Haven't figured out quite how to use it. Didn't have it on my first batch.
You can do a google search for how to use a hydrometer. The process is the same regardless of if it’s wine, beer, mead or some other libation. You have to know your must temperature too or at least be able to do a fair estimate.

I am on the same page as you, like sweeter wines. However I haven’t found a good way to do it.
* fermentations seem to double speed for every 10C, ex at 85F I have had 3 days, this will however stop at the high temp limit of the yeast where it dies, , , now that said you can stop a fermentor by raising the temp to where the yeast dies.
* a business will chill and add metabisulphite and filter at 0.5 micron.
* as others have said sorbate doesn’t kill yeast.
Till we come up with a simple home trick I wait, and after 10 months backsweeten.

Muscadine ends up sweet, so I understand. Hydrometer reading is easy once you understand. Good luck. Hope some other muscadine winemakers help out.

JoyceML ... You will need to expand on what you mean by bubbling for this thread to go anywhere ... are you talking little tiny surface bubbles on the surface of the must ( fluid ) or bubbling in the airlock ..

As long as there a a few active yeast cells you will have small surface bubbles, but that is not active fermentation .. your six week period with no fermentation results would indicate your gave a yeast colony problem ..

Then it becomes a question of your process , and a lot more information will be needed to provide assistance..
I do have the tiny bubbles but I was referring to the airlock. Have one bubble about every 20 to 30 seconds. So I think it is still fermenting. Just didnt know if I should go ahead and kill the yeast or let it keep going for a while longer.

You can do a google search for how to use a hydrometer. The process is the same regardless of if it’s wine, beer, mead or some other libation. You have to know your must temperature too or at least be able to do a fair estimate.
Pretty sure the temp is around 70 degrees

Latest posts

Back