WineXpert Should I skip over step 2?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I would like some opinions or advice please.

I'm making the Winexpert World Vineyard Pink Moscato. I started on 6/3/16, but it's still in the primary bucket. The instructions call for me to rack into a carboy after 5-7 days, which I didn't do. Should I just go to step 3, which calls for stabilizing and clearing?

Check your SG, but I'm sure by now that you're done fermenting. If so, then yes you can and should go to step 3. You don't want to keep it in the bucket much longer as the CO2 cap will likely be gone soon.

if the sg indicate fermentation is complete then rack as stated per step 2 then stabilize and clear. there will be dead yeast and other residue, betonite, in the primary bucket that you will want to eliminate before going to step 3.

Hold on folks.

You need to transfer to carboy and make sure to transfer all of the lees. Winexpert is different and they use a one step fining agent that needs all the lees including bentonite to work properly. You can also stabilize and degass at this time if your SG shows 0.999 or less for 3 days straight.

Mike,

I don't believe it can be "all" the lees [and bentonite] because the instructions call for rack to secondary 5-7 days after start of primary - without any instructions to stir before racking. The WE kits I've done want you not to rack from Secondary (step 2) to Stabilization and Clearing (step 3). With the lower end WE kits, at least the ones I've done, you are not transferring or racking lees or sediment.

I think you're right concerning the higher end kits. I'm not sure though whether the OP would be better off racking off the lees and sediment at this point or stirring them back up for Stab. and Clearing. Probably be okay either way.

Primary to Secondary... Rack!

After 5–7 days draw a sample of the
juice and use your hydrometer and
test jar to check the specific gravity. It
should be 1.010 or less. You must rack
(transfer) the wine into a 23–litre (6
US–gallon) carboy at this time.

Secondary to Stab. and Clearing... Don't rack! Stir!

NOTE: Do NOT rack the wine before stabilising and
fining. This kit requires that you stir the sediment back
into suspension. Racking the wine off the sediment
prior to fining may permanently prevent clearing.
Please be sure to stir all of the sediment up from
the bottom.

Last edited:
I transfer all the lees to secondary, let the wine finish out to dry, add stabilizing agent(s) fining agent, stir well, then dump them after the wine has cleared 5-7 days later. The main point I wanted to get across it that you need that sediment and some of the lees for the one step fining agent to work. If you accidently rack off everything it may not clear properly.

Here is what the WE instructions call for:

Carefully siphon wine into a clean, sanitised 23 litre (6 US gallon) carboy. Leave the thickest sediment behind, but make sure you transfer most of the liquid. This will leave a space at the top of the carboy of approximately one litre (one US quart) in volume.

I went straight to stage 3 from Primary on a WE kit that requires the lees to help clear. I didn't rack any of the lees over and the wine didn't clear. Had to use another dose of a different finings. I think the bentonite also plays an important part.

I have been wondering why Winexpert uses this type of finings. and what advantage it has over other, more robust methods. Any ideas?

I have never had the Winexpert "one step" fining agent fail on me. I have always racked over everything and it is usually ~75% crystal clear in 24-48 hours. Can't say that on the RJS and CC 2 step rack off the lees (Super Kleer). It works most of the time (80%) but not all of the time and is usually much slower to work. YMMV.

Mike, I have the same experience with WE, I keep all of the lees when I go to glass, and when I degas and add the clearing agents after AF, it clears like a champ. I buy packages of Chitosan to use on the fruit wines I do and follow the same protocol and same great results.

Latest posts

Back