WineXpert Should I keep problem wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
OK, first off...

I made two very expensive kits (not going to name them as it is still a little sore that they are... um, not good; lets just say that they had 'grape packs')

Well, I didn't rack them as often as I should have once they got to the bulk aging. Then I left about two inches of air in the tops of them.

They have a somewhat oxidized flavor. I would describe the flavor as having a somewhat chocolate taste to it. In one wine it is really strong. In the other wine, it is somewhat noticeable. I wouldn't say it is make you throw up bad, but I have (or so I like to think) a very refined palate.

So the question is, should I throw it out and reuse the bottles (since they are all bottled now), or should I just tuck them in a closet and see if they taste better in 20 years?

Is this a wine you have tasted earlier and was good? What varietal is it? Does anyone else feel the same about it? It would be a shame to throw it away if you have the room to store it and try later. Hope it comes around.

Honestly, I can't recall the style off the top of my head. They did taste good before the bulk aging (incredibly good in fact). Probably the best wines I have made since they were both grape skin kits.

It doesn't taste like a bacteria (acotater, or whatever).

And I've had my girlfriend try it and she agrees with my input. She, also has a very refined palate.

Edited by: rshosted

If the oxidation is not too bad, you can try to use Polyclar to remove the oxidized taste. I'd try that first before dumping it.

How old are the wines. Could they just be going through a phase? If they are something you purchased from me, PLEASE give me a call. If they are truly bad, I will try to get them replaced and would love to have the feedback for future customers.

geocorn said:
How old are the wines. Could they just be going through a phase? If they are something you purchased from me, PLEASE give me a call. If they are truly bad, I will try to get them replaced and would love to have the feedback for future customers.

George,

I'm not sure if I bought these two specific kits from you; good possibility. Though, honestly, this IS my mistake and I am responsible for it. It wouldn't seem appropriate for you to replace them. Thank you though. I will call you to share with you the information though.

-Ryan

Great info on that link for someone interested in getting a barrel such as me. Thanks to RS and George.

Back