Should I fortify?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordehwa

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I made two batches of skeeter pee. One work out perfectly, final gravity was at 0.995 the other one is still at 1.010. even after the others been done for weeks. I have tried everything to restart it. From adding nutrients and even more yeast but still nothing.

So as you can see I'm not asking how to restart it since I've already tried it all, but instead I was wondering if I could fortify the wine. It still tastes great but it's at %7.88 now and I don't really want to bottle it at that (Greedy I know).

I was thinking it would be great if I could add some neutral alcohol to bring it up to about %10. What do you guys think?

Just because your fermentation has stalled, does not mean that it can't start back up on its own. My concern would be that you have residual sugar that could turn your bottled wine into bottle bombs..

My advice is to do one of two things.

One suggestion is to fortify to 22 abv. At this level, most yeasts will not survive. This would, of course, turn your wine into skeeter port.

The other suggestion is to fortify to the level that tastes best to you, but also employ the use of sorbate to prevent re-fermentation.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know fortification is usually done with brandy, but I don't want to add any flavours to the lemon wine. So I found a very neutral and mild vodka called Tito's Vodka. Would that be fine to use, or should I use something like everclear?

You said you tried everything to get it going again. Did you stir it good and warm it up? Get it in the mid to high 70's. I know your other one finished, but they are all different. Arne.

Latest posts

Back