Should I Filter My Wine Before Bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not needed. Just give them plenty of time before bottling (9-12 months). That's how long i bulk age and never had sediment in any bottles.

If anything, just filter your whites/rose. It will give it a nice "sparkle" in a clear bottle.

Thanks!

Filtering will not clear a cloudy wine but it can make a clear wine sparkle. So it's up to you. As mentioned a red or dark wine in a bottle won't show off much until it's in a glass. But a White or Rose in a clear bottle will be more likely to show off it's clarity.

Filtering will not clear a cloudy wine but it can make a clear wine sparkle. So it's up to you. As mentioned a red or dark wine in a bottle won't show off much until it's in a glass. But a White or Rose in a clear bottle will be more likely to show off it's clarity.

Has that been your experience scooter? What filter are you using?

I like to filter wines and bottle after 1 year, and not filter my reds and bottle at 18-24 months.

"Has that been your experience scooter? What filter are you using?"

I use simple gravity feed vin brite with crystal filter.

It did wonders to several batches that had just a hint of haze to them but when the batches were really cloudy, All I did was clog up and waste a couple of filters. (Apple wine was the culprit then) My first peach wine cleared up beautifully with the vin brite. All my other wines have cleared beautifully without any fining treatments other than Bentonite on occasion.

Keep in mind that my investment in this hobby is small - Less than $300.00 total in equipment and supplies other than the fruit and juices that I have purchased. I decided that this was going to be A hobby not THE hobby for me. I've got 18 acres of woods and meadows, two home on that property, a garden, fruit trees, 30+ blueberry bushes and 2 grandchildren - that all keeps me busy enough without investing too much into this hobby. BUT - I do enjoy the fruits of this hobby.

Thanks!

2017 is the year I filter everything I bottle if for no other reason than I simply can. I can see no down side. I have the equipment, the wine, and the time.

2017 is the year I filter everything I bottle if for no other reason than I simply can. I can see no down side. I have the equipment, the wine, and the time.

I'm not going to filter EVERYTHING, but this year I do plan to to sterile filter the wines I backsweeten. Same types of reasons, along with one bad outcome using sorbate.

I'm not going to filter EVERYTHING, but this year I do plan to to sterile filter the wines I backsweeten. Same types of reasons, along with one bad outcome using sorbate.

Ok can't help it when you said you had "one bad outcome using sorbate my movie centric thoughts ran to this movie clip:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Q1xx7t-HU[/ame]

Italian Job - I HAD a BAD experience...

Back