Should I add addt'l sulfites when transfering to the secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, I have been adding 1/4 teaspoon of powdered KMETA to a 5gallon batch of must.

When I transfer it to the secondary under airlock where it may be for several weeks or more, is it necessary to add any additional sulfites at that point?

Troy

I add a quarter teaspoon when I rack into a 5 gallon carboy. (I'll mix it with a half ounce (or less) of water first.

6 weeks later after it has cleared and I rack it off the lees I will add just a pinch of Pot. Meta

Steve are you adding any in the primary as well?

When I do "Regina Juice" it has already been sulfited and ph balanced so NO I don't add any here.

When I make wine from apples, pears, concentrates etc I will add 1 camden tablet per gallon to my must (plus tannin, energizer, acid blend). 24 hours later I will add my pectic enzyme, then 24 hours later my yeast.

Thanks to several on here I changed from adding yeast and pectic enz. together. :try

Maybe I got off track. LOL. I add the Pectin E, let it sit 24 hours. Than I build a starter. I then add sulfites, energizers, etc. Let that sit 12 hours or so, stirring periodically. After those 12 hours I pitch the yeast starter, I like to have about a quart of starter.

Been wondering about adding it(more sulfites) to the secondary, haven't been doing it.

Maybe I got off track. LOL. I add the Pectin E, let it sit 24 hours. Than I build a starter. I then add sulfites, energizers, etc. Let that sit 12 hours or so, stirring periodically. After those 12 hours I pitch the yeast starter, I like to have about a quart of starter.

Been wondering about adding it(more sulfites) to the secondary, haven't been doing it.

Luc just recently had a post about all this. I'll try to find it. I based what I said above on that. The only thing I was doing was adding yeast and P.E. together.

That turns out wrong which is good because my wine's going to be better. :db

no sid. don't add any more sulfites till you either sweeten, bottle or go to bulk aging right after the yeast is done (totally dry and sg is the same for a few days). you don't want to over sulfite the wine, especially since your using starters as they will shorten the fermentation time. high sulfites might slow or make yeast stop with remaining fermentation left (not dry).

I know that rule. I did however once mixed up my wine and then found out I didn't have the PE on hand I thought. So I went ahead anyway and added the PE when I transfered it to the secondary and it seemed to work. Obviously thats not the way you are suppose to do it, but all indications is that it still did its thing AFTER fermentation.

I'd like to see LUCS post.

I haven't been in here much the last couple weeks missed quite a bit.

Thats what I'm talking about MID. After it comes out of the primary bucket into the carboy for aging. Will the initial sulfites from the primary be enough to protect the wine during its stay in the secondary carboy?

I HAVE seen that post. great explenation on the use of PE. Thanks to LUC for all he offers us in here!! Another great contribution by him.

Ok, before we go any further on the second half of this we need to straighten out something. Troy, you need to add the sulfites first in primary before adding anything else to stun any wild yeast, wait twelve hours or not and add the pectic enzyme. the sulfites should be added right when the fruit or extracted juice is put in the bucket or it could start fermenting and once that happens adding another yeast wont usually do anything because the other yeast is already in control making it an environment not good for another yeast.
After that sulfites are not added until the wine has completed fermentation or you will get yourself into trouble by adding it any earlier as you will be creating havoc with the yeast causing it stress and making it give off off flaovors and aromas.

Okay, I knew somewhere I mixed up the steps. I now understand the addition of sulfites before completion.

So should the nutrient, tannins, etc, be added at the same time as the PE?

Sulfite-12 hours
PE(and additives)-12 hours
Yeast

So should the nutrient, tannins, etc, be added at the same time as the PE?

Sulfite-12 hours
PE(and additives)-12 hours
Yeast

i do.

all ingredients + sulfite, then wait 24 hrs, rehydrate yeast (i should be making starters!) and pitch it after 20-30 min. KISS :fsh

if you would like to bulk age, wait till it's done fermenting, rack, (back sweeten and sorbate if it needs some sweetness), then add sulfites. you will then need to add sulfites every 3-4 months after for bulk aging.

typically i only bulk age for 3 months because we end up needing carboys, but i would like to go for atleast 6. it's not hard to label (rack again if needed - super clear non-filtered wine anyone?), just toss in a bit of sulfites and stir. repeat.

As wade mentioned, you don't want to make the yeast struggle with sulfites. you can get off flavors and aromas. I was trying to look up the names of the molecules that are caused by this and other mis-steps to no avail. i guess i could go back and listen to my sanitation cd i got, but i don't think we are getting too much into the chemistry of it all. just try to follow the general we've been talking about and you'll be good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back