Short during second racking? What to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
Unlike Andrew who has extra wine, I may have the opposite problem.

I think I'm going to be short when I rerack my wine from one carboy to another.

What are my realistic options? If I simply let the wine be short, it's going to have air trapped at the top. That can't be any good.

thoughts or suggestions?

Add a "like" wine

OR

put it in smaller container.

DO NOT ADD WATER.

marbles can bring the level up by displacing the must. Think of it like when you run a bath look at the water level, then when you get in the tub look at the water level. Same amount of water, comes up the sides higher.

You could add marbles, adding a like wine is the easiest thing to do. I have started collecting 1/2 & 1 gallon bottles each time I go to the supply shop. Also you want some 3 gallon carboys. Next time you buy wine get in larger bottles so you can reuse those for carboys. The next thing is make sure you have plenty of bungs (all sizes) and air locks even for wine bottles. It took a year of listening to Tom and Wade before I got stocked up but boy am I glad I did. Nothing gets wasted.

Thanks for the wisdom, guys!! I have carboys in 6, 5, 3, and 1.

I'll start scrounging for some bottles less than 1g... and pick up some marbles! :)

Latest posts

Back