Quantcast

Shop N Save $.48 per pound peaches

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
We recently had the Chambersburg peaches (month ago) and they were juicy sweet and dripping with juice. Yesterday I bought some peaches from Calif. and their brick hard. Suppose they picked them in March.

Fruits a gamble sometimes.

I'll have to check them out. Usually when produce is that cheap their ready to spoil.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Yeah - that is why i need to get them, destone, 1/4 them and freeze until i am ready to make the wine.

GerardVineyard

Reaction score
I just picked up some peaches at Walmart for .38 / lb Already have them in the primary.

rob

Reaction score
How many peaches per gallon?

Deezil

Reaction score
We recently had the Chambersburg peaches (month ago) and they were juicy sweet and dripping with juice. Yesterday I bought some peaches from Calif. and their brick hard. Suppose they picked them in March.

Fruits a gamble sometimes.

I'll have to check them out. Usually when produce is that cheap their ready to spoil.
Are your "rock hard" peaches cold? or were they in cold storage at all?

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Room temperatures and they had no flavor. Very disappointing since earlier they were awesome.

rob

Reaction score
Steve,
how do you prepare, do you slice and crush them, if so do you need a crusher?

Deezil

Reaction score
Room temperatures and they had no flavor. Very disappointing since earlier they were awesome.
Lay them out in the sun for a day or two, roll them when the skins get warm to the touch - i did this with my first batch of peaches and they were juicier than juicy.

Just got off the phone with my mom, she says they generally pick them slightly early because they bruise so easy during shipping. A day or two more in the sun should bring the peaches to life.

Latest posts